POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fired fox Server Time
8 Jul 2024 08:00:02 EDT (-0400)
  Fired fox (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Fired fox
Date: 16 Mar 2015 16:08:33
Message: <55073841@news.povray.org>
For over 10 years now I've been a satisfied Firefox user.

Today I finally got fed up with its extreme slowness, and tried to
install another browser.

I think the thing that really drove it home was that the other day I
happened to fire up an old VM that's running Firefox 5. It was *so much*
faster! I could actually look at Google Maps in *realtime*! Not with a
30-second pause every time I scroll or zoom.

Anyway, I tried Google Chrome, but it *insists* that you have to "log
in" to allow them to track your movements - er, I mean, synchronise your
devices. Yeah, that. But more to the point, Hotmail became
*catastrophically slow*. (I presume this is perfectly intentional.)

So I installed Opera, and I've just spent about an hour trying to force
it to work the way *I* want it to work, not how it tells me I should
work. I still haven't found a way to get rid of the annoying Speed Dial
feature, but at least I managed to force it to give me the Home button
back. It was trivial to import my bookmarks, but obnoxiously hard to put
them back on the bookmarks toolbar where they belong. (Assuming you can
get that to display in the first place.)

I couldn't help noticing how the Opera settings pane looks almost
pixel-for-pixel *identical* to the Chrome settings window. That seems
highly suspicious. I also couldn't help noticing that, like Chrome, it's
extremely anaemic in terms of options and settings. (Indeed, I tried
Chrome several years ago, and promptly uninstalled it due to the
complete lack of configurability and features.)

This seems to be a worrying trend. GNOME 2.x had a sea of configuration
options. GNOME 3.x has almost *nothing*. In order to change anything,
you have to install user-supplied "extensions". (Oh, did I mention?
There's no documentation for how to write these extensions. You just
have to read the source code. Because that's trivial...) It seems
software producers have somehow got the idea that it's OK to produce a
product with no configurability, and let a dozen different 3rd parties
write a dozen mutually-incompatible "extensions" each of which solves a
different 30% of the problem.

Seriously, you managed to implement a standards-compliant rendering
engine! That's nearly impossible!! How hard can it be to add a trivial
GUI for editing the frigging settings?!

(Indeed, judging my various Internet searches, it seems Opera used to
have a magic URL that leads to a low-level settings dialog, similar to
what Firefox has. So they removed it. Now the URL just redirects to
their dumbed-down configuration GUI that won't let you configure
anything. Good work, guys.)

Having said all that, browsing the Internet is now *drastically faster*!
Like, I clicked the satellite view on Google Maps and *didn't* have to
wait 5 minutes for all the bitmaps to load. You can literally scroll
around the entire planet, zooming in and out, in actual *realtime*. Even
in satellite view!! And don't get me started on how much faster
scrolling is in Facebook...

The first time I logged into Hotmail, it was spectacularly broken. (As
in, none of the CSS loaded, rendering [hah!] the page almost unusable.)
I have no idea why. It seems to work fine now.

Not completely sure how I'm still logged in to Stack Exchange, even
though I'm using a completely unrelated web browser...

Who knows? Maybe with another week or so of tinkering, I can force Opera
to work *almost* the way I want it to...

Post a reply to this message

Am 16.03.2015 um 21:08 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

> This seems to be a worrying trend. GNOME 2.x had a sea of configuration
> options. GNOME 3.x has almost *nothing*. In order to change anything,
> you have to install user-supplied "extensions". (Oh, did I mention?
> There's no documentation for how to write these extensions. You just
> have to read the source code. Because that's trivial...) It seems
> software producers have somehow got the idea that it's OK to produce a
> product with no configurability, and let a dozen different 3rd parties
> write a dozen mutually-incompatible "extensions" each of which solves a
> different 30% of the problem.

Judging from some stuff you posted about Haskell libraries a while ago,
shouldn't you be familiar with this? :P

Post a reply to this message

> Am 16.03.2015 um 21:08 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>
>> This seems to be a worrying trend. GNOME 2.x had a sea of configuration
>> options. GNOME 3.x has almost *nothing*. In order to change anything,
>> you have to install user-supplied "extensions". (Oh, did I mention?
>> There's no documentation for how to write these extensions. You just
>> have to read the source code. Because that's trivial...) It seems
>> software producers have somehow got the idea that it's OK to produce a
>> product with no configurability, and let a dozen different 3rd parties
>> write a dozen mutually-incompatible "extensions" each of which solves a
>> different 30% of the problem.
>
> Judging from some stuff you posted about Haskell libraries a while ago,
> shouldn't you be familiar with this? :P

I'm not sure I follow...

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 20:08:35 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Anyway, I tried Google Chrome, but it *insists* that you have to "log
> in" to allow them to track your movements - er, I mean, synchronise your
> devices. Yeah, that. But more to the point, Hotmail became
> *catastrophically slow*. (I presume this is perfectly intentional.)

Chrome doesn't need you to login.  I know people who don't have gmail
accounts even who use it, so obviously they don't have a password to even
use.

> This seems to be a worrying trend. GNOME 2.x had a sea of configuration
> options. GNOME 3.x has almost *nothing*. In order to change anything,
> you have to install user-supplied "extensions". (Oh, did I mention?
> There's no documentation for how to write these extensions. You just
> have to read the source code. Because that's trivial...) It seems
> software producers have somehow got the idea that it's OK to produce a
> product with no configurability, and let a dozen different 3rd parties
> write a dozen mutually-incompatible "extensions" each of which solves a
> different 30% of the problem.

GNOME3 has plenty of configuration options, set using dconf-editor.

> Seriously, you managed to implement a standards-compliant rendering
> engine! That's nearly impossible!! How hard can it be to add a trivial
> GUI for editing the frigging settings?!

It isn't, because dconf-editor exists. ;)

Jim

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:44:31 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

>> This seems to be a worrying trend. GNOME 2.x had a sea of configuration
>> options. GNOME 3.x has almost *nothing*. In order to change anything,
>> you have to install user-supplied "extensions". (Oh, did I mention?
>> There's no documentation for how to write these extensions. You just
>> have to read the source code. Because that's trivial...) It seems
>> software producers have somehow got the idea that it's OK to produce a
>> product with no configurability, and let a dozen different 3rd parties
>> write a dozen mutually-incompatible "extensions" each of which solves a
>> different 30% of the problem.
>
> GNOME3 has plenty of configuration options, set using dconf-editor.

Oh, and for creating gnome-shell extensions?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/Extensions

Google with search terms "writing gnome 3 shell extensions".

First hit.

Jim