POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education Server Time
6 Oct 2024 12:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Earth science education (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Earth science education
Date: 22 Mar 2015 05:16:24
Message: <550e8868$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/03/2015 13:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> thumb is a cursor, going over the 12 different places (one per bone) of
> the 4 remaining fingers.
> 0,1,2 on index
> 3,4,5 on middle
> 6,7,8 on ring
> 9,10,11 on pinky

I'm still working on this. :-)
It is back to two copulating spiders. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 22 Mar 2015 13:24:43
Message: <op.xvwtbgwrufxv4h@xena.home>
On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:46:51 +0200, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Am 19.03.2015 um 17:33 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
>
>> My son Vaughn just loves science. He also tends to find school a bit
>> boring
>> hecause he has a wide scope of general knowledge. He loves games like
>> Kerbal
>> Space Program, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers. He knows what a
>> Halon
>> Colider is. He is a bit like Numher 5 - "more input".
>
> "Halon Colider"? Are those his own words, or should I direct my
> nitpicking at his dad? ;)

Oops. Yeah that's me. Large Hadron Collider. Maybe I should have checked
with him first ;)

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 22 Mar 2015 13:28:46
Message: <op.xvwth7rbufxv4h@xena.home>
Interesting

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/565315/Scientists-at-Large-Hadron-Collider-hope-to-make-contact-with-PARALLEL-UNIVERSE-in-days

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 22 Mar 2015 14:33:16
Message: <550f0aec$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.03.2015 um 18:28 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> Interesting

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/565315/Scientists-at-Large-Hadron-Collider-hope-to-make-contact-with-PARALLEL-UNIVERSE-in-days

"SCIENTISTS conducting a mindbending experiment at the Large Hadron
Collider next week hope to connect with a PARALLEL UNIVERSE outside of
our own."

Uh... yeah. That special experiment they're doing the very next week. Sure.

Load of horsecrap. What's going to happen in a few days is that, after a
two-year hardware update break, the scientists at CERN will be resuming
the one and /only/ type of experiment the LHC is capable of performing:
Randomly smashing together protons (or, sometimes, heavy ions) /really/
hard, /really/ frequently, over and over again for a /really/ long time,
hoping that /occasionally/ /something/ interesting might happen. Same as
they did before the break, except that this time they'll smash even harder.

What they will find in those few interesting events - be it the
generation of microscopic black holes, interaction with a parallel
universe, or generation of an invisible pink unicorn - is pure
speculation at this time.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 22.03.2015 um 18:28 schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> > Interesting

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/565315/Scientists-at-Large-Hadron-Collider-hope-to-make-contact-with-PARALLEL-U
NIVERSE-in-days

> "SCIENTISTS conducting a mindbending experiment at the Large Hadron
> Collider next week hope to connect with a PARALLEL UNIVERSE outside of
> our own."
>
> Uh... yeah. That special experiment they're doing the very next week. Sure.
>
> Load of horsecrap. What's going to happen in a few days is that, after a
> two-year hardware update break, the scientists at CERN will be resuming
> the one and /only/ type of experiment the LHC is capable of performing:
> Randomly smashing together protons (or, sometimes, heavy ions) /really/
> hard, /really/ frequently, over and over again for a /really/ long time,
> hoping that /occasionally/ /something/ interesting might happen. Same as
> they did before the break, except that this time they'll smash even harder.
>
> What they will find in those few interesting events - be it the
> generation of microscopic black holes, interaction with a parallel
> universe, or generation of an invisible pink unicorn - is pure
> speculation at this time.

It sounds luke they're trying to keep investors interested.

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

> It sounds luke they're trying to keep investors interested.

Call me an old cynic if you like.
It sounds like a journalist trying to make it interesting and alluring.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> It sounds luke they're trying to keep investors interested.
>
> Call me an old cynic if you like.
> It sounds like a journalist trying to make it interesting and alluring.

Exactly my thought.

AFAIK there are no commercial investors in CERN; like many fundamental
research institutions it relies purely on public funding.

Post a reply to this message

>>> It sounds luke they're trying to keep investors interested.
>>
>> Call me an old cynic if you like.
>> It sounds like a journalist trying to make it interesting and alluring.
>
> Exactly my thought.
>
> AFAIK there are no commercial investors in CERN; like many fundamental
> research institutions it relies purely on public funding.

In a way Nekar is right. We, as taxpayers, are the investors.
Years ago I worked in the Newspaper industry. I have a very low opinion
of most journalists. They will write anything to get a byline.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> Call me an old cynic if you like.
>>> It sounds like a journalist trying to make it interesting and alluring.
>>
>> Exactly my thought.
>>
>> AFAIK there are no commercial investors in CERN; like many fundamental
>> research institutions it relies purely on public funding.
>>

> In a way Nekar is right. We, as taxpayers, are the investors.
> Years ago I worked in the Newspaper industry. I have a very low opinion
> of most journalists. They will write anything to get a byline.

Hmm, yes and no. My father was a journalist, working in the foreign
politics and arts branch. He was extremely critical about truth finding
and so was very critical about many of his colleagues. In the course of
the years I have met a wide lot of them and I must say that most were
honest. However, the example by Nekar is typically one were the
journalist did not know what he was writing about and only picked up a
couple of catch calls he heard somewhere and wrote around it; or -
current practice - the title did not refer to the content at all, which
becomes obvious when you know that titles are not made by the journalist
himself but by the layout staff.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Mar 2015 04:39:58
Message: <551122de$1@news.povray.org>
On 14-3-2015 13:20, Doctor John wrote:

> I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
> old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
> little prompting; he is aware of the concepts of addition and
> subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
> with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
> understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.
>
> So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
> going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
> scientists? ;-)
>
> John

This:
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32004102