POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education Server Time
6 Oct 2024 10:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Earth science education (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Earth science education
Date: 16 Mar 2015 10:22:23
Message: <5506e71f$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/03/2015 13:41, scott wrote:
>>> Next, you can teach him to count to 29 without taking off his socks. ;-)
>>
>> You can count up to 1023 using only your fingers.  Although, it takes a
>> little bit of dexterity.
>
> If you're really good you can manage up to 59048...

It is too cumbersome counting in binary. If you use base five, it is
easy. Almost as if your fingers were made for it. ;-)
You can add and subtract for small values of yes.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> You can count up to 1023 using only your fingers.  Although, it takes a
>>> little bit of dexterity.
>>
>> If you're really good you can manage up to 59048...
>>

> It is too cumbersome counting in binary. If you use base five, it is
> easy. Almost as if your fingers were made for it. ;-)
> You can add and subtract for small values of yes.

I have enough problems counting to 143 with both hands.

--
Just because nobody complains does not mean all parachutes are perfect.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Mar 2015 11:05:35
Message: <5506f13f$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/03/2015 14:33, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> I have enough problems counting to 143 with both hands.

Why am I thinking of The Chrysalids?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 16 Mar 2015 12:51:11
Message: <550709ff$1@news.povray.org>
Le 16/03/2015 16:05, Stephen a écrit :
> On 16/03/2015 14:33, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> I have enough problems counting to 143 with both hands.
>
> Why am I thinking of The Chrysalids?

Because you do not count like me with your thumb to the segment of the
four other finger.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 17 Mar 2015 16:08:21
Message: <550889b5$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/03/2015 16:51, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 16/03/2015 16:05, Stephen a écrit :
>> On 16/03/2015 14:33, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> I have enough problems counting to 143 with both hands.
>>
>> Why am I thinking of The Chrysalids?
>>
> Because you do not count like me with your thumb to the segment of the
> four other finger.

I was on the point of admitting defeat when it dawned on me what you meant.
It sounds cumbersome. It must look like two spiders being romantic. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 17 Mar 2015 16:58:50
Message: <5508958a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17/03/2015 21:08, Stephen a écrit :
> On 16/03/2015 16:51, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>>
>>> Why am I thinking of The Chrysalids?
>>>
>> Because you do not count like me with your thumb to the segment of the
>> four other finger.
>>

> I was on the point of admitting defeat when it dawned on me what you meant.
> It sounds cumbersome. It must look like two spiders being romantic. ;-)

Each hand stays on its side. Just base 12 with 2 digits.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 19 Mar 2015 06:31:43
Message: <550aa58f$1@news.povray.org>
On 17/03/2015 20:58, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 17/03/2015 21:08, Stephen a écrit :

>>> Because you do not count like me with your thumb to the segment of the
>>> four other finger.
>>>

>> I was on the point of admitting defeat when it dawned on me what you meant.
>> It sounds cumbersome. It must look like two spiders being romantic. ;-)
>>
> Each hand stays on its side. Just base 12 with 2 digits.

The base 12 I got. I just can't visualise how you keep your place.

I curl the fingers on my left hand for the digits 1 to 5. And if I curl
the fingers on my right hand, in a binary fashion, for 5, 10, 15, 20...
up to 155. So I can count up to 160 or in the range -80 to +80.
(I have had some boring jobs in my life.)

I am trying to reverse the opinion that counting on your fingers is a
sign of being poorly educated. So I am always on the lookout for
different ways to do it.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 19 Mar 2015 09:38:41
Message: <550ad161$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19/03/2015 11:31, Stephen a écrit :
> On 17/03/2015 20:58, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>>> I was on the point of admitting defeat when it dawned on me what you
>>> meant.
>>> It sounds cumbersome. It must look like two spiders being romantic. ;-)
>>>
>> Each hand stays on its side. Just base 12 with 2 digits.
>>

> The base 12 I got. I just can't visualise how you keep your place.
>
> I curl the fingers on my left hand for the digits 1 to 5. And if I curl
> the fingers on my right hand, in a binary fashion, for 5, 10, 15, 20...
> up to 155. So I can count up to 160 or in the range -80 to +80.
> (I have had some boring jobs in my life.)
>
> I am trying to reverse the opinion that counting on your fingers is a
> sign of being poorly educated. So I am always on the lookout for
> different ways to do it.

thumb is a cursor, going over the 12 different places (one per bone) of
the 4 remaining fingers.
0,1,2 on index
3,4,5 on middle
6,7,8 on ring
9,10,11 on pinky

From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 19 Mar 2015 12:35:01
Message: <web.550afa714d71d6e1171677ef0@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
> going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
> scientists? ;-)
>
> John
> --
> Protect the Earth
> It was not given to you by your parents
> You hold it in trust for your children

My son Vaughn just loves science. He also tends to find school a bit boring
hecause he has a wide scope of general knowledge. He loves games like Kerbal
Space Program, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers. He knows what a Halon
Colider is. He is a bit like Numher 5 - "more input".

-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 19 Mar 2015 12:46:55
Message: <550afd7f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.03.2015 um 17:33 schrieb Nekar Xenos:

> My son Vaughn just loves science. He also tends to find school a bit boring
> hecause he has a wide scope of general knowledge. He loves games like Kerbal
> Space Program, Space Engineers, Medieval Engineers. He knows what a Halon
> Colider is. He is a bit like Numher 5 - "more input".

"Halon Colider"? Are those his own words, or should I direct my
nitpicking at his dad? ;)