POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? (Message 51 to 60 of 126)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy?
Date: 25 Sep 2014 03:28:53
Message: <5423c435$1@news.povray.org>
On 25-9-2014 5:50, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>>> In some parts of the Christian world it is God who is most to be feared.
>>> ;-)
>>>

>> Ah yes! The righteous, angry, vengeful, Old Testamentish God! I knew a
>> few of them who bowed and cringed under his baleful stare :-)
>>
> I have always contended that they got the old saying dead wrong. If
> there was a devil, his greatest trick was convincing people that he and
> god where different entities.

Well, you may not be wrong :-) In fact in some religions both are
different aspects of the same entity.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 25 Sep 2014 04:22:07
Message: <5423d0af@news.povray.org>
On 25/09/2014 08:28, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 25-9-2014 5:50, Patrick Elliott wrote:

>>> Ah yes! The righteous, angry, vengeful, Old Testamentish God! I knew a
>>> few of them who bowed and cringed under his baleful stare :-)
>>>
>> I have always contended that they got the old saying dead wrong. If
>> there was a devil, his greatest trick was convincing people that he and
>> god where different entities.
>>
> Well, you may not be wrong :-) In fact in some religions both are
> different aspects of the same entity.

And if the Devil conquered God and took his place. Who would be able to
tell the difference?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Sep 2014 07:05:53
Message: <5423f711$1@news.povray.org>
On 25-9-2014 10:22, Stephen wrote:
> On 25/09/2014 08:28, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> I have always contended that they got the old saying dead wrong. If
>>> there was a devil, his greatest trick was convincing people that he and
>>> god where different entities.
>>>
>> Well, you may not be wrong :-) In fact in some religions both are
>> different aspects of the same entity.
>>

> And if the Devil conquered God and took his place. Who would be able to
> tell the difference?

Indeed. A certain form of Manichaeism is essential to distinguish good
from evil (what is good? what is evil?)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 25 Sep 2014 08:18:44
Message: <54240824$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/09/2014 12:05, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 25-9-2014 10:22, Stephen wrote:

>> And if the Devil conquered God and took his place. Who would be able to
>> tell the difference?
>>

> Indeed. A certain form of Manichaeism is essential to distinguish good
> from evil (what is good? what is evil?)

Deep thoughts Thomas.
Next we will be counting angels on pinheads. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Sep 2014 10:09:47
Message: <5424222b@news.povray.org>
On 25-9-2014 14:18, Stephen wrote:
> On 25/09/2014 12:05, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 25-9-2014 10:22, Stephen wrote:
>

>>> And if the Devil conquered God and took his place. Who would be able to
>>> tell the difference?
>>>

>> Indeed. A certain form of Manichaeism is essential to distinguish good
>> from evil (what is good? what is evil?)
>>

> Deep thoughts Thomas.
> Next we will be counting angels on pinheads. ;-)

I would be even more fascinated by the question: Can there be as many
devils on a pinhead? or more? or less?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 25 Sep 2014 11:48:31
Message: <5424394f$1@news.povray.org>
On 25/09/2014 15:09, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 25-9-2014 14:18, Stephen wrote:

>>> Indeed. A certain form of Manichaeism is essential to distinguish good
>>> from evil (what is good? what is evil?)
>>>

>> Deep thoughts Thomas.
>> Next we will be counting angels on pinheads. ;-)
>>

> I would be even more fascinated by the question: Can there be as many
> devils on a pinhead? or more? or less?
>
> Thomas

You don't catch me as easy as that.

Get thee behind me... ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 25 Sep 2014 15:13:42
Message: <54246966$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.09.2014 05:50, schrieb Patrick Elliott:

>>> In some parts of the Christian world it is God who is most to be feared.
>>> ;-)
>>>

>> Ah yes! The righteous, angry, vengeful, Old Testamentish God! I knew a
>> few of them who bowed and cringed under his baleful stare :-)
>>
> I have always contended that they got the old saying dead wrong. If
> there was a devil, his greatest trick was convincing people that he and
> god where different entities.

Another thought about the God of the OT: If God exists, who says he
can't learn from experience?

(Heck, when he originally made humans he "saw that it was good", only to
later find that something had gone utterly wrong and that he had to
press the Big Flood Reset Button - only to later find that this was such
a horrible thing to do that he promised to never do it again - et cetera.)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 25 Sep 2014 15:15:42
Message: <542469de$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.09.2014 16:09, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 25-9-2014 14:18, Stephen wrote:

>> Deep thoughts Thomas.
>> Next we will be counting angels on pinheads. ;-)
>>
> I would be even more fascinated by the question: Can there be as many
> devils on a pinhead? or more? or less?

Less of course, because they'd bicker and fight...

... unless of course they pose as angels, in which case they have to
stop the bickering and fighting for a while...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 25 Sep 2014 15:18:36
Message: <54246a8c@news.povray.org>
Am 25.09.2014 21:13, schrieb clipka:

> Another thought about the God of the OT: If God exists, who says he
> can't learn from experience?

... and maybe sending His Only Begotten Son to die on the cross was to
figure out what this "suffering" the humans kept complaining about was
all about in the first place...

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Sep 2014 03:09:55
Message: <54251143@news.povray.org>
On 25-9-2014 21:15, clipka wrote:
> Am 25.09.2014 16:09, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>> On 25-9-2014 14:18, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> Deep thoughts Thomas.
>>> Next we will be counting angels on pinheads. ;-)
>>>
>> I would be even more fascinated by the question: Can there be as many
>> devils on a pinhead? or more? or less?
>
> Less of course, because they'd bicker and fight...
>
> ... unless of course they pose as angels, in which case they have to
> stop the bickering and fighting for a while...

Good. Good, Brother Christoph. Your level of casuistry is improving.
However, the answer is correct but for the wrong reason...

Thomas