POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages!
Date: 19 Sep 2014 13:01:40
Message: <541c6174$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:10:24 +0100, scott wrote:

>> I agree, but that's kinda the point.  They don't want to waste time
>> with people who know it's a scam.
>
> Sorry I don't see what they gain or how it benefits them by putting
> mistakes in the email. If a group of people only know it's a scam
> because of mistakes written in the text of the email, then they'd be
> better off not putting in those mistakes and having those people click
> the link to get whatever malware/spyware.
>
> Unless they are assuming that group of people are much more likely to be
> running a machine without security holes and the cost of the bandwidth
> to try and install the malware outweighs any benefit they might get.
> Seems unlikely as they are probably using some stolen web server to host
> the files.

Apparently it works, because they keep doing it, and they keep scoring.

I'll use myself as an example - if I got a scam e-mail from someone
saying that I had won a lottery I hadn't entered in the first place, it
wouldn't matter whether or not it used correct spelling or grammar,
because I'd look at it and say "this is bullshit".  I'm probably less
likely to decide to play with them and waste their time, too.

So why not make it really obvious to those with three brain cells to rub
together that it's bullshit?  It'll go to the people who are going to
click on anything and everything that comes into their inbox.

Jim