POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. (Message 80 to 89 of 119)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money ToPeople WhoBreakThe Law. He Answers Poorly.
Date: 26 Sep 2014 12:40:14
Message: <542596ee$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.09.2014 17:00, schrieb Saul Luizaga:

> news://news.povray.org:119/54256812@news.povray.org here I explain that
> are not only theories. Aliens, can't be discarded, a lot of BS about
> them, but still many things without explanation,

Now /that/ is an "argument from ignorance": Jumping from the fact that
there are still "many things without explanation" to the conclusion that
therefore a given theory X (in this case, "there are aliens"), that
would /happen/ to explain them, /must/ be true.

But you're right indeed: Aliens can't be discarded. Nor have they been
confirmed to have set on this planet (or even come into its vicinity) to
this date.

> and there is a
> plausible number of hundreds of intelligent species to be alive right
> now in the know Universe,

That is plausible indeed, some would even say almost inevitable, but
those hundreds of intelligent species might still live the same isolated
life as we do on our own planet.

In fact, the anthropic principle would suggest (albeit not necessarily
imply) that if interstellar travel is feasible, we'll be the first
species to do it. Otherwise, the dominant species on our planet
(dominant to the extent that evidence would be everywhere) would
probably not be humans but some extraterrestrial species already.

Post a reply to this message