POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Really? (Message 31 to 40 of 121)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Really?
Date: 3 Sep 2014 22:46:44
Message: <5407d294$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:09:48 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> You'd think that with everybody moving to VOIP, demand for actual
> telephone numbers would be *rapidly decreasing*...

No, because everyone with a VOIP number still needs a POTS number,
because that's all the old system knows.

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Sep 2014 22:47:08
Message: <5407d2ac$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 03 Sep 2014 07:43:11 +0100, scott wrote:

>> You'd think that with everybody moving to VOIP, demand for actual
>> telephone numbers would be *rapidly decreasing*...
>
> Also it's stupid how most (all?) broadband providers force you to have a
> phone as well - I suspect a lot of people would be happy to pay a bit
> less and not have a landline at all.

I don't have a landline.  Just mobile.

Jim

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Sep 2014 03:33:21
Message: <540815c1$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2014 03:47 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I don't have a landline.  Just mobile.

I would do that, except then I have to stand outside to make phone calls.

(The signal strength outside the building is fine, but inside there's no
reception at all. Presumably because the building is made of metal...)

Post a reply to this message

On 04/09/2014 03:46 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:09:48 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> You'd think that with everybody moving to VOIP, demand for actual
>> telephone numbers would be *rapidly decreasing*...
>
> No, because everyone with a VOIP number still needs a POTS number,
> because that's all the old system knows.

Really? You need an actual phone number to run Skype? That's... that's
like needing a static IP address to use IRC!

Post a reply to this message

> On 04/09/2014 03:46 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 13:09:48 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> >
> >> You'd think that with everybody moving to VOIP, demand for actual
> >> telephone numbers would be *rapidly decreasing*...
> >
> > No, because everyone with a VOIP number still needs a POTS number,
> > because that's all the old system knows.
>
> Really? You need an actual phone number to run Skype? That's... that's
> like needing a static IP address to use IRC!

What he means is someone who wants to call you from a non-IP phone has to have a
way to reach you, and yes, you can have a "normal" phone number mapped to your
skype account so people can call you on skype from ordinary phones.

Regards
Aydan

Post a reply to this message