POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Calibration Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:59 EDT (-0400)
  Calibration (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Calibration
Date: 30 Aug 2014 14:55:47
Message: <54021e33$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2014 20:38, Stephen wrote:
> On 30/08/2014 19:33, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> On 30/08/2014 20:06, Stephen wrote:
>>>
>>> Belgians are either Flemish or Walloons (or French speakers from
>>> Bruxelles).
>>
>> Don't forget the German's speaking Belgians, east side.
>>

> I did not know about them. A well kept secret? :-)

If you got Belgium explained to you, and you get it, you have been
misexplained.

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 30 Aug 2014 15:20:52
Message: <54022414$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/14 19:06, Stephen wrote:

> Belgians are either Flemish or Walloons (or French speakers from
> Bruxelles). The Flemish speak Dutch <ducks> and the others French.

<nitpicking>

... but note that there are diffences.

Flemish vs Dutch:
"een tas" in the Netherlands is a bag, in Flanders it's a cup
"lopen" in Dutch is "to walk", in Flemish it means "to run"
most Flemish will use the word "wagen" for car, most Dutch will use "auto"
"to print out a document" in Flemish is "afprinten", in Dutch "uitprinten".

French vs Belgian French:
French speakers would say "soixante-dix" and "quatre-vingts dix",
Belgians say "septante" and "nonante"
The French "Tu m'accompagnes?" becomes "Tu viens avec?" (note: in Dutch,
this would be "Kom je mee?"

BTW be careful about using the word 'Walloon'. It should refer only to
the inhabitants of Wallonia and their language which is related to
French but also has big differences

</nitpicking>

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Aug 2014 15:53:12
Message: <54022ba8@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2014 19:55, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> If you got Belgium explained to you, and you get it, you have been
> misexplained.

How true that is. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Aug 2014 16:02:00
Message: <54022db8$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2014 20:20, Doctor John wrote:
> On 30/08/14 19:06, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> Belgians are either Flemish or Walloons (or French speakers from
>> Bruxelles). The Flemish speak Dutch <ducks> and the others French.
>>

> <nitpicking>

You? Never!

> ... but note that there are diffences.
>
> Flemish vs Dutch:
>
> French vs Belgian French:

The winners to meet in the final next Humagulung Tuesday that falls on a
Wednesday.

> BTW be careful about using the word 'Walloon'. It should refer only to
> the inhabitants of Wallonia and their language which

And their descendants.

The strongest argument I heard when I was working there was that French
Belgians were themselves. (But that was between people who worked for
Accenture. Know what I mean?)

> is related to
> French but also has big differences
>
> </nitpicking>

I'll put this date in my diary. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 30 Aug 2014 16:22:25
Message: <54023281$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/14 21:01, Stephen wrote:
> On 30/08/2014 20:20, Doctor John wrote:
>> </nitpicking>
>>

> I'll put this date in my diary. ;-)

... and then, of course, we have the beer test:
Dutch beer = Flemish Beer > Walloon beer > French gnat's piss

John

From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Calibration (addressed to Stephen)
Date: 30 Aug 2014 17:15:14
Message: <54023ee2$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/14 21:21, Doctor John wrote:
> .... and then, of course, we have the beer test:
> Dutch beer = Flemish Beer > Walloon beer > French gnat's piss

That was a hint!

Joh

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Aug 2014 17:47:51
Message: <54024687@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2014 22:14, Doctor John wrote:
> On 30/08/14 21:21, Doctor John wrote:
>> .... and then, of course, we have the beer test:
>> Dutch beer = Flemish Beer > Walloon beer > French gnat's piss
>>

> That was a hint!
>
> Joh

Okay Joh,
I admit it. It is my round.
It better be before the 18th to protect my sanity. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 30 Aug 2014 17:51:03
Message: <54024747$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/08/2014 21:21, Doctor John wrote:
> On 30/08/14 21:01, Stephen wrote:
>> On 30/08/2014 20:20, Doctor John wrote:
>>> </nitpicking>
>>>

>> I'll put this date in my diary. ;-)
>>

> ... and then, of course, we have the beer test:
> Dutch beer = Flemish Beer > Walloon beer > French gnat's piss

Or warm soapy suds. :-P
You need a beer that sounds like a man's beer.
Heavy or 80/-

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: FractRacer
Date: 30 Aug 2014 18:38:50
Message: <5402527a$1@news.povray.org>

> On 30/08/14 21:01, Stephen wrote:
>> On 30/08/2014 20:20, Doctor John wrote:
>>> </nitpicking>
>>>

> The French "Tu m'accompagnes?" becomes "Tu viens avec?" (note: in Dutch,
> this would be "Kom je mee?"

  In french we says :"tu viens?"

> ... and then, of course, we have the beer test:
> Dutch beer = Flemish Beer > Walloon beer > French gnat's piss
>
> John

Piss? I do not know this f..g beer, I just know good craft french beers
and some good belgian beers.

Lionel

--
Do not judge my words, judge my actions.

---

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 2 Sep 2014 03:36:03
Message: <54057363$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-8-2014 19:14, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> So where's a question. How do you suppose you might pronounce
> "Callebaut"? (Given that it's supposedly Belgian.)

Much has been said already ;-) but let me try. Much depend on the
speaker being native or not:

- Average Dutch, not too fluent in French: K-all-(e)-b-out
- French: K-eye-b-oh
- Flemish: probably like French

Thomas