POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An old poem (in light of the present British weather) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  An old poem (in light of the present British weather) (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: An old poem (in light of the present British weather)
Date: 1 Mar 2014 22:57:03
Message: <5312ac0f@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:16:52 +0100, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Le 01/03/2014 12:50, Stephen nous fit lire :
>>
>>> Not because it's an outstanding movie, but because our apartment
>>> number is 1704 (and die-hard Trek fans will understand why that
>>> particular movie is significant when it comes to that number). ;)
>>
>> Not a Treckie, I am afraid.
>
> Oh shit, I know why... NCC-1701-x is the Enterprise's tag (of all the
> various versions of Enterprise). and the fourth film is "The Voyage
> Home".... how appropriate for a new location.
> 1704... fourth of the serie (and on the "good" list of movies)
>
> If only the whales were true...

Pretty close, actually.  NCC-1704 was the USS Yorktown, which after the
destruction of the original Enterprise (in Star Trek III), was re-
christened as NCC-1701-A.

I actually hadn't even considered the subtitle as a significant thing,
but that actually is a nice bonus. :)

Amy's a bit of a Trekker, but she had to look that up - apparently that
is "official canon" for the non-rebooted Trek franchise.

Jim