POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:31 EDT (-0400)
  should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents (Message 51 to 60 of 125)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
Date: 19 Jan 2014 23:35:58
Message: <52dca7ae@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 01:20:06 +0100, clipka wrote:

> => §1.4: Allow yourself and anyone else to freely and without shame or
> fear follow any rules they derive from their personal and current belief
> re the supreme something's existence or nature, within the limits
> imposed by §1.1 to §1.4 (sic!).

You had me up to this point, and only not here in a nuanced way.

I'm happy to let anyone follow any rules they derive from their personal
and current belief, so long as they don't try to impose those on others
ability to do the same - or if by doing so they put people in harm's way.

I'm happy, for example, to let devout Jehovah's Witnesses refuse a blood
transfusion for themselves.  I'm not happy to let them refuse one for
their child, because that is endangering the life of their child.

One might also say, though, that if they have a child, then they are
endangering the child by refusing one for themselves as well.  That's a
slightly thornier issue that involves making a decision by balancing a
personal freedom against a personal responsibility.

And also:  Texas Board of Education.  If the individuals want to cripple
their own childrens' understanding of science and handicap them in the
real world, that's less a decision I feel I should get involved in.  When
they use their influence to cram religious dogma into the public schools
in ways that affect the entire country - no, they're not permitted to do
that.

Jim