POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hardware Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Hardware (Message 11 to 20 of 42)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Hardware
Date: 24 Dec 2013 04:28:16
Message: <52b953b0$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/12/2013 08:18 AM, scott wrote:

> Do you want GFLOPS or FPS? You can use those performance charts like
> GPUmark and also look at framerates in common games if that's what
> you're going to be using the GPU for.

I would presume that render frame-rate and compute power are strongly
correlated. Then again, I guess I don't know that much about the render
pipeline, so...

> FWIW when I built my machine earlier this year I chose the GTX 650 (I

> ok, but I'm not one for playing lots of cutting-edge games, FarCry3 is
> probably the latest one I have that is heavy on graphics - that runs
> fine at max detail. I'm waiting for GTA5 to come out for the PC in
> March, hopefully that will handle it ok.

My GTX 260 was able to handle Crysis, Crysis 2, FarCry 3 and just about
every other game I tried on very high detail settings. (Although I think
FarCry 3 became noticeably laggy when I turned everything up to maximum
- it was only slight though.)

If a GTX 260 can handle it, presumably a newer generation card with
multiple times the compute power will eat it up.

Ultimately, I'm probably going to wait for my next bank statement before
I decide. It's only a few days away, after all...

Post a reply to this message