POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting (Message 1 to 10 of 144)
From: Warp
Subject: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
Date: 19 Dec 2013 16:13:55
Message: <52b36193@news.povray.org>
I'm really wondering if Hollywood screenwriters have to sign a contract
where they make an oath that in any story where there are multiple
characters, if one of them is wounded, sick or otherwise not completely
right, they always, and I mean always, have to hide it from the others,
even in situations where there's literally zero reasons to do that, it
makes absolutely no sense, it has no purpose whatsoever, and it only
makes things worse for everybody, and even if telling the others would
actually be beneficial.

I'm sick of seeing this again and again and again. It's like a holy rule
of screenwriting. It has been seen in like a million movies, and there's
no sign of it ever stopping.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I'm really wondering if Hollywood screenwriters have to sign a contract
> where they make an oath that in any story where there are multiple
> characters, if one of them is wounded, sick or otherwise not completely
> right, they always, and I mean always, have to hide it from the others,
> even in situations where there's literally zero reasons to do that, it
> makes absolutely no sense, it has no purpose whatsoever, and it only
> makes things worse for everybody, and even if telling the others would
> actually be beneficial.
>
> I'm sick of seeing this again and again and again. It's like a holy rule
> of screenwriting. It has been seen in like a million movies, and there's
> no sign of it ever stopping.

Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch Hollywood cr*p

John

Post a reply to this message

On 20/12/2013 8:16 AM, Doctor John wrote:
> Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch Hollywood cr*p

Seconded.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:08:03 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 20/12/2013 8:16 AM, Doctor John wrote:
>> Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch Hollywood cr*p
>
> Seconded.

I just learn to tune it out, or am more selective about what I watch.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 19/12/2013 21:13, Warp wrote:
> > I'm really wondering if Hollywood screenwriters have to sign a contract
> > where they make an oath that in any story where there are multiple
> > characters, if one of them is wounded, sick or otherwise not completely
> > right, they always, and I mean always, have to hide it from the others,
> > even in situations where there's literally zero reasons to do that, it
> > makes absolutely no sense, it has no purpose whatsoever, and it only
> > makes things worse for everybody, and even if telling the others would
> > actually be beneficial.
> >
> > I'm sick of seeing this again and again and again. It's like a holy rule
> > of screenwriting. It has been seen in like a million movies, and there's
> > no sign of it ever stopping.
> >

> Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch Hollywood cr*p

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the reason.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> >Which is why I rarely, if ever, watch Hollywood cr*p
> Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the reason.

I bet that there are a few more reasons.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the reason.
>
> I bet that there are a few more reasons.

Abominable English, screwed-up Scottish accents, plots that a child
could through .....

... yeah, a few more

John

Post a reply to this message

Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Abominable English .. plots that a child could through

Hmm... Ok, maybe I don't know the idiom.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On 20/12/2013 10:40 PM, Doctor John wrote:
>>> Yes, I'm sure that's exactly the reason.
>>
>> I bet that there are a few more reasons.
>>

> Abominable English, screwed-up Scottish accents, plots that a child
> could through .....
>
> .... yeah, a few more

See through, Warp.

The thing that annoys me most is the moral tone. No bad deed or person
goes unpunished. So like life.

--
Regards
     Stephen