POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Going dark Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Going dark (Message 26 to 35 of 45)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Going dark
Date: 19 Oct 2013 18:46:59
Message: <52630be3$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/10/13 22:32, Jim Henderson wrote:

> plants.  They make pretty decent thermostats.

Not the one in my living room. It's  failed.

I am, of course, kidding. It's failed (its very old) but failed _on_
which is better than failing _off_ - I'd rather cook than freeze. With a
bit of luck the engineer will turn up on time on Monday.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Oct 2013 19:53:02
Message: <52631b5e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 23:47:31 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

> On 18/10/13 22:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> plants.  They make pretty decent thermostats.
>>
> Not the one in my living room. It's  failed.
>
> I am, of course, kidding. It's failed (its very old) but failed _on_
> which is better than failing _off_ - I'd rather cook than freeze. With a
> bit of luck the engineer will turn up on time on Monday.

That someone's coming out, though, is nice - we've replaced ours
ourselves in the past. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 19 Oct 2013 21:26:24
Message: <52633140$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/10/13 00:53, Jim Henderson wrote:
> That someone's coming out, though, is nice - we've replaced ours
> ourselves in the past. :)
>
> Jim

Keeping my fingers crossed

John

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Oct 2013 05:32:41
Message: <5263a339@news.povray.org>
On 19/10/2013 11:03 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 21:10:15 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> My first real job was with Honeywell, testing PCBs for the H 316.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeywell_316
>
> Now you mention it, I think you'd mentioned that before. :)  They have/
> had locations all over the place - I've got a friend in Arizona who
> worked for them there as well - about 30 years ago.

I have a soft spot for the company, I learned boolean logic, how to
solder and made my first amplifier there. (We we encouraged to do
"homers" as it increased our skills.)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 20 Oct 2013 16:45:33
Message: <526440ed$1@news.povray.org>
>>> That's one way to get the temperature up.  What kind of temperature do
>>> you find you sleep best at?
>>
>> It seems I feel some comfortable (day and night) when the thermometer
>> says between 21°C and 23°C. Below 20°C and I'm actually shivering. Above
>> 24°C is too hot.
>
> But when you go to sleep, you have blankets and sheets, too.  A cooler
> temperature is usually a good thing.

I find if it's below 20°C or so, I have a still neck the next day.

>> Hehe, you Americans and your obsolete measurement systems...
>
> It's what we're used to.  You use miles rather than kilometers, so you're
> only partially on a sensible system.  We inherited our system from you. ;)

Yeah, well, we're working on it. ;-)

>> No instructions, but under the front plate there's a model number. I
>> imagine it shouldn't be hard to locate the instructions. That's what we
>> did with the washing machine. (Which, incidentally, has a drying
>> function. I've never heard of such a thing before...)
>
> A combo washer/dryer - that sounds handy.  I think that's what our
> friends in High Wycombe have.

Yeah, from what I hear, having a machine with both functions just means
it does each of them less well than a dedicated device. But hey, it took
a while to clean it, but it now seems to wash my clothes quite well.
(Initially they came out dirtier than they went in!)

>> Few things depreciate faster than computers. ;-) I bought a £250 CPU. I
>> was thinking about selling it - until I realised that AMD still
>> manufacture it, and you can buy it retail boxed for £21.
>
> That's because of the advance in technology, and people buying computers
> value the latest and greatest.
>
> People buying real estate, though, have other factors they're considering.
>
> The counterexample to your CPU example is the Mona Lisa, or a Stradavarius
> violin.  Obviously those items are things that the value has not gone
> down for over the years.

Thing is, they don't constantly produce new Mona Lisas - in fact, there
is only one in the entire world. Houses, on the other hand, are
constantly being built. (Though, again, location counts for something.)

>> Since this grid-square is half under water, there are no local shops.
>
> Some people prefer having the shops farther away, too - because it means
> you don't have non-local traffic in the neighborhood (which can affect
> crime).

In MK, what they generally do is that each residential grid square has
its own bunch of shops. So everybody just goes to their own local shops.
(And then there are the retail grid squares, which have larger shops
that people travel to. But nobody lives there.) It's actually quite an
efficient system - which is why the county council is dedicated to
getting rid of it ASAP.

>>> Then, too, there's improvements (as I mentioned before).
>>
>> It's a block of flats. You can't really do much to it.
>
> Well, yeah, flats are different than a house.

Well hey, like I said, I hopefully won't be selling it for a very long
time. I haven't finished moving in yet!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Oct 2013 18:26:25
Message: <52645891@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:45:34 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> But when you go to sleep, you have blankets and sheets, too.  A cooler
>> temperature is usually a good thing.
>
> I find if it's below 20°C or so, I have a still neck the next day.

Interesting, I've not heard of that. :)

>>> Hehe, you Americans and your obsolete measurement systems...
>>
>> It's what we're used to.  You use miles rather than kilometers, so
>> you're only partially on a sensible system.  We inherited our system
>> from you. ;)
>
> Yeah, well, we're working on it. ;-)

I guess we're just letting you be the guinea pigs. ;)

> Yeah, from what I hear, having a machine with both functions just means
> it does each of them less well than a dedicated device. But hey, it took
> a while to clean it, but it now seems to wash my clothes quite well.
> (Initially they came out dirtier than they went in!)

How long was the flat vacant before you moved in?

>> The counterexample to your CPU example is the Mona Lisa, or a
>> Stradavarius violin.  Obviously those items are things that the value
>> has not gone down for over the years.
>
> Thing is, they don't constantly produce new Mona Lisas - in fact, there
> is only one in the entire world. Houses, on the other hand, are
> constantly being built. (Though, again, location counts for something.)

Well, not new Mona Lisas, but certainly new art is being created every
day.

>>> Since this grid-square is half under water, there are no local shops.
>>
>> Some people prefer having the shops farther away, too - because it
>> means you don't have non-local traffic in the neighborhood (which can
>> affect crime).
>
> In MK, what they generally do is that each residential grid square has
> its own bunch of shops. So everybody just goes to their own local shops.
> (And then there are the retail grid squares, which have larger shops
> that people travel to. But nobody lives there.) It's actually quite an
> efficient system - which is why the county council is dedicated to
> getting rid of it ASAP.

Well, with the population, I don't know that you could say definitively
that "everyone" does this, but certainly people would tend to go locally.

>>> It's a block of flats. You can't really do much to it.
>>
>> Well, yeah, flats are different than a house.
>
> Well hey, like I said, I hopefully won't be selling it for a very long
> time. I haven't finished moving in yet!

:)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Oct 2013 05:03:56
Message: <5264edfc$1@news.povray.org>
> Basically each wall is a sheet of plasterboard. So, looks pretty, but no
> sound damping, and you can't make any holes in it. (It'll just snap in
> half.)

In newer houses (<20yrs) all walls are plasterboard (spaced out from the
bricks if it's a supporting wall), so you'll have to get used to it and
learn how to fix stuff to them. It's not like nobody in modern houses
fixes stuff to walls.

You can use these:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg

or these - especially good if it's old plasterboard that's a bit crumbly:

http://www.ffx.co.uk/Content/images/tools/FORTOG350.jpg

You'd be surprised how much weight they can support. 4 or 6 of them will
hold a big TV *easily*. I use them for everything, shelves, mirrors,
desks, pictures, bookcases etc - never had anything fall down.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 21 Oct 2013 05:15:38
Message: <5264f0ba$1@news.povray.org>
>> You should be grateful with what you have :-P On a good day I can get
>> just above 3 Mb/s...
>
> Yeah, I was under the impression most of the country uses ADSL2, which
> tops out at 8 Mb/s. I'm not actually sure how it's even *possible* to
> have 40 Mb/s...

VDSL2

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 21 Oct 2013 07:43:07
Message: <5265134b$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/10/13 21:08, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Now, the usual NRA is up to 6000 m radius large, so the probability that
> you are less than 1200m from it is about 1/25 : 1 out of 25 house will
> be happy of VDSL2.

I live less than 500 metres from the exchange serving me.

> On a city of 20 000 houses, that's not a so big
> number. (800)

That assumes a very low population density: 1 person/2,300 square
metres. The density here is 1 person/91 square metres and that's only at
night when everyone is at home. During the day the population (of
Westminster) rises from 236,000 to over 1,000,000.

John (getting a peak of 54 Mb/s atm)

From: scott
Date: 21 Oct 2013 07:55:16
Message: <52651624$1@news.povray.org>
> Now, the usual NRA is up to 6000 m radius large, so the probability that
> you are less than 1200m from it is about 1/25 : 1 out of 25 house will
> be happy of VDSL2.

In the UK fibre-to-cabinet is in a lot of places now, so it's your
distance to the nearest cabinet in the street that's important, not the
exchange. In most cases people are very much closer than 1200m to their
cabinet, so essentially everyone gets those high speeds.