POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Without looking it up Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Without looking it up (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Without looking it up
Date: 1 Aug 2013 14:42:31
Message: <51faac17$1@news.povray.org>
Don't want no search engine regurgitation so ... who knows where hanging
a horseshoe over a door came from? Supposed to be good luck charm.

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Without looking it up
Date: 1 Aug 2013 15:07:22
Message: <51fab1ea$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/08/2013 20:42, James Holsenback nous fit lire :
> Don't want no search engine regurgitation so ... who knows where hanging
> a horseshoe over a door came from? Supposed to be good luck charm.

without looking it up, I would say that previously *finding* a horseshoe
was a good luck sign: as horseshoe was expensive to make, it was a
welcome income soon for the finder (selling it to the local blacksmith
and sharing part of the benefit with it: the blacksmith would be paid as
usual by his customers, but the workload would be greatly reduced, hence
a significant benefit (at least on daily food & coal for the blacksmith,
which, on a non-profit-religious-area (non-selfish) would share with his
finding friend))

Hanging horseshoe would then be a sort of treasure's display: the owner
of the barn/house/.. showing to everyone that he has been lucky (and as
superstitious people often believe: luck calls more lucks, troubles more
troubles; so the owner was to be lucky in business and as such became
worthy of more business (because his luck would spill on his
customers/providers too, so better him than someone else))

Post a reply to this message