POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PGP is hard Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  PGP is hard (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: PGP is hard
Date: 13 Jul 2013 11:49:46
Message: <51e1771a$1@news.povray.org>
You may or may not find this interesting:

http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/1998/CMU-CS-98-155.pdf

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: PGP is hard
Date: 13 Jul 2013 12:46:24
Message: <51e18460@news.povray.org>
On 13/07/2013 04:49 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> You may or may not find this interesting:
>
> http://reports-archive.adm.cs.cmu.edu/anon/1998/CMU-CS-98-155.pdf

Hmm, that's a fairly small sample size. But it's interesting; I sit here
thinking that PGP is easy. And then they list the points that a user of
the system has to realise, and suddenly you see how awfully non-obvious
most of this stuff actually is.

They focus exclusively on sending email with PGP. So, if I install PGP
and want to send an encrypted email, I need to:

* Realise that I need the recipient's PGP public key.

* Figure out how to obtain that.

* Work out how to import it to my keyring.

* Find the button to encrypt my email.

* Hit send.

If I want to sign as well, I additionally need to:

* Know what the hell a signature even is, and why that's useful.

* Realise that I need to generate a keypair in order to sign anything.

* Comprehend that the guy at the other end needs my public key in order
for the signature to do any good.

* Figure out how to send my public key.

* Find the button to sign my email.

That's... actually fairly hard, TBH. We're expecting the user to figure
out quite a lot of simple but non-obvious stuff here. Oh, I mean sure,
if you sit down and read the huge tome of a manual that PGP comes with,
you should know all this.

I personally remember installing PGP for the first time, and being
baffled by the key management window. I mean, WTF? I just created one
keypair, so why is there so much stuff in here? And what does it all
mean? (So much for being a computer expert!)

Now try even attempting to explain to our clueless user the problems of
key forgery. I mean, I can generate a keypair and write ANY NAME I LIKE
on it. If you go to a server and find six keys with my name on them,
which one is the real one? The one with four signatures on it? Oh, but
wait, those are from fake keys are well. Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Come with my on this journey for a moment. When I connect to a server
secured with HTTPS, all this stuff "just works". I don't have to know or
care about all this PKS stuff. I just click a button, and the connection
is automatically encrypted. Why can't email work like that?

In part, this is because as a web server, I'm not the guy who spent
three days trying to figure out how to install the certificate on the
web server correctly. Some highly-paid IT expert did that. As an
end-user, I don't need to care.

But, like I said, come on a journey with me. To connect to a web server,
all you need is a URL. To send an email, all you need is an email
address. PGP keys typically have email addresses on them. What if,
hypothetically, we extended the SMTP protocol such that it were possible
to query a user's PGP key just by knowing their email address? Like, if
you could sent a specially-formatted email which causes the mail server
at the other end to immediately email back the key? Now imagine that the
mere act of typing in a person's email address automatically fetches
their public key, and encrypts the message with that.

If email could work like this, everybody would be using encryption.
Think about it; PGP has existed for decades, it costs nothing, and I've
never met a human IRL who's actually heard of it. I've also never met a
human IRL who's heard of TLS either, yet everybody uses that on a nearly
daily basis. Nobody uses PGP because it's too complicated.

Now, setting up the mapping from your email address to your key in the
first place? THAT could be problematic... First because the user has to
figure it out, second because if someone can insert a fake key their and
intercept mail, we have a man-in-the-middle attack. Also, for some
reason it is not usual for a mail client to connect directly to the
destination mail server in the way a web browser connects to a web
server. This complicates key lookup.

It still strikes me that this stuff could be a lot simpler than it is.
But then, not everybody uses PGP. Some people like TrueCrypt, some
people use something else entirely. Automatic key discovery wouldn't be
useful unless everybody was using the same encryption technology, and
that can only happen if one lucky product gets embedded in the standard
document. Not likely.

In other news, this morning I set out to write a PGP parser, and instead
spent several hours nerding out over how cool PKS is, without actually
writing much code. :-/

Post a reply to this message