POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Math questions (Message 1 to 10 of 90)
From: Warp
Subject: Math questions
Date: 13 Jul 2013 09:50:42
Message: <51e15b32@news.povray.org>
1) Does a unit square contain the same amount of points as a unit line?
(We are talking about real numbers here.)

2) If yes, that means there has to be a 1-to-1 mapping between those
points. Give a function that expresses such a mapping.

3) If the answer to the first question is yes, then it follows that
the amount of points inside a unit cube is also the same as the amount
of points on a unit line. The same for a four-dimensional hypercube,
and so on. Can you give a generic function that gives a 1-to-1 mapping
between a unit line and an n-dimensional unit cube?

4) So the next question is: Does a countably-infinite-dimensional unit
cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? If yes, can you
give a 1-to-1 mapping between them?

5) And the logical extreme: Does an uncountably-infinite-dimensional
unit cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? Explain why.
(Also explain how the number of dimensions can be uncountably infinite.
That seems to defy the definition of "dimension".)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> 1) Does a unit square contain the same amount of points as a unit line?
> (We are talking about real numbers here.)

I would say no. They are different orders of infinity.
I recommend Rudy Rucker's fiction book White Light as a good entry to
thinking about infinity. It is a bit strange but easier to read than
Edwin Abbott Abbott's Flatland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Light_%28Rudy_Rucker_novel%29

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> 1) Does a unit square contain the same amount of points as a unit line?
> (We are talking about real numbers here.)

Weirdly, yes.

(As an aside, if the answer were no, the rest of the questions all
become in applicable, which kind of gives the game away...)

> 2) If yes, that means there has to be a 1-to-1 mapping between those
> points. Give a function that expresses such a mapping.

Given the 2D coordinates of a point on the unit square, you can
interleave their decimal digits, which always yields a unique point on
the unit line. For example,

   0.3425
   0.2183 -> 0. 32 41 28 53

> 3) If the answer to the first question is yes, then it follows that
> the amount of points inside a unit cube is also the same as the amount
> of points on a unit line. The same for a four-dimensional hypercube,
> and so on. Can you give a generic function that gives a 1-to-1 mapping
> between a unit line and an n-dimensional unit cube?

This amounts to interleaving N sequences of digits rather than just two.

> 4) So the next question is: Does a countably-infinite-dimensional unit
> cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? If yes, can you
> give a 1-to-1 mapping between them?

Now I'm lost. I can neither prove nor refute that the cardinalities match.

Post a reply to this message