POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Today's mirth (Message 61 to 70 of 90)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Today's mirth
Date: 10 Jun 2013 06:16:29
Message: <51b5a77d$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/06/2013 9:58 AM, nemesis wrote:
> Orchid Win7rings<voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> Today a CV landed on my boss' desk. While reading it, we came across the
>> following phrase:
>>
>>     "...designing B-spoke software for there pacific needs."
>>
>> I don't even know where to start with this. How could someone get basic
>> English words so badly wrong?
>>
>> Needless to say, we didn't bother interviewing this person.
>
>   U gays make such a tissue with tings dat R of no importance dis days bedside

No bad, init.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Jun 2013 08:01:20
Message: <51b5c010$1@news.povray.org>
On 10-6-2013 10:58, nemesis wrote:
> Orchid Win7rings<voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>
>> Needless to say, we didn't bother interviewing this person.
>
>   U gays make such a tissue with tings dat R of no importance dis days bedside

Chill, man.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Jun 2013 12:08:13
Message: <51b5f9ed$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 08:34:27 +0100, scott wrote:

>> Yes, it lacks the object that is referenced.  Now you tell me how to
>> construct that sentence with the missing object*without*  putting the
>> missing object ahead of the preposition.  Oh, and it has to make sense,
>> too.;)
>
> Whether it ends in a preposition or not is irrelevant to whether the
> sentence makes sense. The reason "The apple was beside." doesn't make
> sense is not because it ends in a preposition, but because there is some
> part missing from it. I could easily have said "I moved the box that the
> apple was beside." and that would be fine.

Yes, that would be fine, because you've defined the object.  As I said,
*generally* when you use a preposition, the object that is related is
after the preposition, but not always.  Which is why it's a "rule of
thumb" or a "guideline".

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>   U gays make such a tissue with tings dat R of no importance dis days bedside

GAAAAH! >_< IT BURNS!!

Post a reply to this message