POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  Today's mirth (Message 41 to 50 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Today's mirth
Date: 7 Jun 2013 18:32:56
Message: <51b25f98@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 20:18:07 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 07/06/2013 6:24 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> used by the chinless wonder type.
>> :)   Yeah, it does seem to be marketingspeak mor ethan anything.
>>

> It always has been. It comes from the days when the nob's word was their
> bond. Even if they did not pay their accounts for years.
> Originally it meant fiancée. She was bespoke, or spoken for. IIRC

Word history is always interesting.  :)

>> Interesting, because I don't think I've ever heard it in the US or used
>> by Americans before.
>
> No, you wouldn't. There were about a dozen of us Brits working on the
> project in NM. Gee! we were "cute" with our funny English accents.
> I through a wobblie in Walmart.
>
> "I'm too old to be cute. Ma'am"

LOL

JIm

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2013 18:33:27
Message: <51b25fb7$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 22:51:35 +0200, andrel wrote:

>> For me, fast typing tends to cause what I've started calling
>> "typelexia"
>> - I transpose letters because of my typing speed
>
> I do that too, and I gave originally the same reason. Until I started to
> do the same thing on the white board while teaching.

I think I call that a "brain fart". :)

Have done that a few times myself.  Or get halfway through writing a word
on the board, and then forget what I was writing.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2013 18:34:01
Message: <51b25fd9$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 22:49:35 +0200, andrel wrote:

> My impression is that it is more common with native speakers. Probably
> because they learn to speak English before they learn to write. For
> those of us for whom it is a second language it is the other way around.

That's an interesting observation - I hadn't thought about that.  It
certainly does have a certain type of logic to it, though. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message