POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with C++ Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with C++ (Message 1 to 10 of 65)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Adventures with C++
Date: 13 May 2013 14:09:29
Message: <51912c59$1@news.povray.org>
Today, I wrote a parser in C++.

The slightly alarming thing is that it almost works correctly too. (It's
not quite finished yet.)

And no segfaults! It turns out that if you throw enough STL containers
at the problem, you can make it work without any manual pointer
manipulation. (I shudder to think what the performance is like...
Fortunately the input to the parser will always be small.)

It took 4 employees approximately 4 hours to get VisualStudio to
successfully compile and link the code. (There are external
dependencies, and the program is split into two projects which have to
cross-reference each other correctly, and so on.) VS is really very
clunky with C++ code.

It then took me about half an hour to write the parser test cases, and
the rest of today to write the actual parser. Nested subexpression
parsing still isn't working quiet right yet, so I need to go take a look
at that.

I must say, when I signed up for a job as a C# programmer, I didn't
think I'd spend 3 months writing Bash scripts, two weeks writing
VBScript and then a day writing C++ code... :-P

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 13 May 2013 20:09:39 +0200, Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> Today, I wrote a parser in C++.
>

> I must say, when I signed up for a job as a C# programmer, I didn't
> think I'd spend 3 months writing Bash scripts, two weeks writing
> VBScript and then a day writing C++ code... :-P

Sounds exciting ;)

--
-Nekar Xenos-

Post a reply to this message

> I must say, when I signed up for a job as a C# programmer, I didn't
> think I'd spend 3 months writing Bash scripts, two weeks writing
> VBScript and then a day writing C++ code... :-P

It's the overly-detailed, over-inflated job 'qualifications' requirements :-P

To be a brick-layer these days, the qualifications probably read: "Must be
familiar with silicon/water chemistry on the atomic level, plus five years of
academic training in geometry. Phd in architectural design a plus."

Post a reply to this message

> It took 4 employees approximately 4 hours to get VisualStudio to
> successfully compile and link the code. (There are external
> dependencies, and the program is split into two projects which have to
> cross-reference each other correctly, and so on.) VS is really very
> clunky with C++ code.

After having spent a few years with VS and C#, a few months ago I tried
again VS for C++ and agree it's still very clunky in comparison. Not
sure if that's more a limitation of C++ compared to C#, but it's
certainly not as user friendly.

> I must say, when I signed up for a job as a C# programmer, I didn't
> think I'd spend 3 months writing Bash scripts, two weeks writing
> VBScript and then a day writing C++ code... :-P

You mean you haven't found an excuse to use POV yet!?! (and then
obviously the newsgroups as well...)

Post a reply to this message