POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes!!! :_D Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Yes!!! :_D (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Yes!!! :_D
Date: 12 May 2013 14:03:48
Message: <518fd984$1@news.povray.org>
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/
--
The level of my sarcasm depends upon the level of your stupidity

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Yes!!! :_D
Date: 12 May 2013 17:18:27
Message: <51900723$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/05/2013 07:04 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/

Uh... why would the stability of the astronauts' laptops be critical? I
mean, the computer that keeps the station in the sky? Sure. But some
random guy's laptop? Seems less important...

Post a reply to this message

> On 12/05/2013 07:04 PM, Doctor John wrote:
>> http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/
>
> Uh... why would the stability of the astronauts' laptops be critical? I
> mean, the computer that keeps the station in the sky? Sure. But some
> random guy's laptop? Seems less important...

Because they do scientific experiements that cost a helluvalot to do,
and you don't want to recieve an e-mail that says "Can you send us
another batch of ____, next time the Progress ships comes by, we need to
redo all of Yuri's experiments since his laptop BSODed and the C: drive
is unreadable.

From: Kenneth
Date: 12 May 2013 23:10:01
Message: <web.51905943916d5877c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/
> --

I thought the space station's computer memories were still using ferrite cores.
:-P  I seem to remember reading something like that once--maybe for the Space
Shuttle.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 13 May 2013 07:42:02
Message: <5190d18a@news.povray.org>
Am 12.05.2013 20:04, schrieb Doctor John:
> http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/

... but POV-Ray has been there earlier ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 May 2013 12:53:36
Message: <51911a90@news.povray.org>
> Uh... why would the stability of the astronauts' laptops be critical? I
> mean, the computer that keeps the station in the sky? Sure. But some
> random guy's laptop? Seems less important...

Do you really think that they have laptops there juts to play solitaire?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 May 2013 13:36:12
Message: <5191248c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 12 May 2013 23:08:52 -0400, Kenneth wrote:

> Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/10/iss-linux/
>> --
>
> I thought the space station's computer memories were still using ferrite
> cores.
> :-P  I seem to remember reading something like that once--maybe for the
> Space Shuttle.

IIRC, the earlier shuttles were like that, and they had laptops to track
telemetry because the on-board computers couldn't handle the task well
enough.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 May 2013 13:52:48
Message: <51912870$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/05/2013 05:53 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Uh... why would the stability of the astronauts' laptops be critical? I
>> mean, the computer that keeps the station in the sky? Sure. But some
>> random guy's laptop? Seems less important...
>
> Do you really think that they have laptops there juts to play solitaire?

I'm sure they use them to communicate with ground, log their daily
activities, and other such stuff. What I'm saying is, it's not like if
your laptop crashes, you're all going to die. It would be a problem, but
not an immediately life-threatening one.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 13 May 2013 14:01:33
Message: <51912a7d@news.povray.org>
> I'm sure they use them to communicate with ground, log their daily
> activities, and other such stuff. What I'm saying is, it's not like if
> your laptop crashes, you're all going to die. It would be a problem, but
> not an immediately life-threatening one.

But can be extremely expensive if you lose all the data you have been
collecting. And something that can be fixed basically at no cost.

--
                                                          - Warp