POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Relocation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:56 EDT (-0400)
  Relocation (Message 21 to 30 of 53)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Relocation
Date: 11 Apr 2013 13:38:16
Message: <5166f508@news.povray.org>
>> On the one hand, I don't want to slow things down any more than they
>> already are. On the other hand, I want to find the best deal.
>
> That's sensible.  Also bear in mind, though, that if you do a 30-year
> term, most people don't stick with that term.  They refinance when the
> interest rates go down, sometimes adjusting the term (in the US, it's not
> uncommon to start with a 30-year term and then later to switch to a 15-
> year term, or to just refinance with a new 30-year term).

Can you actually do that?

Obviously, I've never had a mortgage. But from other loans I've had, if
you try to pay back more money or pay it off early, they charge you very
steep penalty fines.

> Just remember that the term isn't "the rest of your entire working life",
> it's "until you refinance or sell the property".  What you want is to
> increase the value so when you sell, you get more than you paid (or will
> pay in principal by the end of the term)

I had assumed that the value of a property can only go down, never up.

I mean, think about it. The longer I have the property, the older and
therefore less desirable it becomes. The green fields around it get
built on, reducing the value. The surrounding properties get cheaper so
the wrong sort of people start moving in and making the neighbourhood
undesirable. And so on.

I guess if you did something to massively transform the property you
could conceivable raise its value. (E.g., taking a derelict shell and
turning it back into a habitable building.) But other than that, it
would seem obvious that property, like everything else, gets less and
less valuable over time.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 18:38:18 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> On the one hand, I don't want to slow things down any more than they
>>> already are. On the other hand, I want to find the best deal.
>>
>> That's sensible.  Also bear in mind, though, that if you do a 30-year
>> term, most people don't stick with that term.  They refinance when the
>> interest rates go down, sometimes adjusting the term (in the US, it's
>> not uncommon to start with a 30-year term and then later to switch to a
>> 15- year term, or to just refinance with a new 30-year term).
>
> Can you actually do that?

In the US, certainly.  We've refinanced once already, it's a fairly
standard practice here.

> Obviously, I've never had a mortgage. But from other loans I've had, if
> you try to pay back more money or pay it off early, they charge you very
> steep penalty fines.

Home ownership is a different sort of thing.  Refinancing is different
than paying it early, but some mortgages do have early payment penalties
attached.  Others don't.

>> Just remember that the term isn't "the rest of your entire working
>> life",
>> it's "until you refinance or sell the property".  What you want is to
>> increase the value so when you sell, you get more than you paid (or
>> will pay in principal by the end of the term)
>
> I had assumed that the value of a property can only go down, never up.

That's actually fairly rare.  Usually property appreciates in value.

> I mean, think about it. The longer I have the property, the older and
> therefore less desirable it becomes. The green fields around it get
> built on, reducing the value. The surrounding properties get cheaper so
> the wrong sort of people start moving in and making the neighbourhood
> undesirable. And so on.

And you also make improvements to the house.  You might (for example) put
a new roof on it, or build an addition, or redo the kitchen.  Those
things add value.

> I guess if you did something to massively transform the property you
> could conceivable raise its value. (E.g., taking a derelict shell and
> turning it back into a habitable building.) But other than that, it
> would seem obvious that property, like everything else, gets less and
> less valuable over time.

It doesn't take a massive transformation.  You'll want to talk to your
estate agent about how to increase the value of your flat if/when you
decide to sell it.

I bought my first place for $89K, and sold it for about $120K.  This
current place we bought for $145K, and will likely get about $250K for.
On the first place we did very little.  On this place, we've put a new
roof on (paid for with $20K in equity), did a lot of repainting and some
other not-so-insigificant things (proper vent for the stove, strip out
the paneling and properly finished/updated the walls in the addition,
improved the condition of the yard, installed a sprinkler system, added
additional capacity to the circuit panel, and so on).

Before we move, we'll get the floors refinished as well (they're hardwood
and need a good sanding/polishing).

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> I mean, think about it. The longer I have the property, the older and
>> therefore less desirable it becomes. The green fields around it get
>> built on, reducing the value. The surrounding properties get cheaper so
>> the wrong sort of people start moving in and making the neighbourhood
>> undesirable. And so on.
>
> And you also make improvements to the house.  You might (for example) put
> a new roof on it, or build an addition, or redo the kitchen.  Those
> things add value.

Hmm, OK. I'm not sure how much of that I'm allowed to do since I'm not
actually buying the entire thing, I'm renting part of it from somebody
else. It's just one more of the things on my list of stuff I need to
figure out...

Post a reply to this message

> I'm renting part of it from somebody else.

Quite different things.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I just bought a house.
>
>> I'm renting part of it from somebody else.
>
> Quite different things.

I bought 30% of a house. I'm going to rent the other 70% of it.

Oh, and if we're being pedantic, it's actually a flat...

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 20:09:56 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> I mean, think about it. The longer I have the property, the older and
>>> therefore less desirable it becomes. The green fields around it get
>>> built on, reducing the value. The surrounding properties get cheaper
>>> so the wrong sort of people start moving in and making the
>>> neighbourhood undesirable. And so on.
>>
>> And you also make improvements to the house.  You might (for example)
>> put a new roof on it, or build an addition, or redo the kitchen.  Those
>> things add value.
>
> Hmm, OK. I'm not sure how much of that I'm allowed to do since I'm not
> actually buying the entire thing, I'm renting part of it from somebody
> else. It's just one more of the things on my list of stuff I need to
> figure out...

Rental is a different thing, obviously - we own our home, we're not
renting it.

The arrangement that you've got, are you getting ownership/title in the
property?  Or are you signing a rental agreement?

Jim

Post a reply to this message