POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:09 EDT (-0400)
  Basic arithmetic (Message 30 to 39 of 39)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Basic arithmetic
Date: 14 Mar 2013 12:10:12
Message: <5141f664$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 23:07:43 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 13/03/2013 10:51 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:43:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> And doesn't everyone outside of academia know that the exam system
>>> sucks? Now, the education system "teaches" to pass exams not to
>>> educate.
>>
>> Not always, but usually in academia it's been my experience that that's
>> true.  In uni, most exams are not vetted as well as a certification
>> exam,
>> and the professors/teachers aren't trained in psychometric analysis,
>> item analysis, or how even really how to write good questions that
>> measure learning effectively.
>>

> Arrrg!<Runs away wrapping his arms about his head.>  :-P

I sometimes surprise myself with stuff like this. ;)

>>> A vicious circle that dilutes any benefit that being able to read
>>> without moving your lips, gives.
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Jim
>>

> ??? I am being serious. Well half serious, anyway. ;-)

Well, then maybe that should be "LC" ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Mar 2013 15:57:18
Message: <51422b9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/2013 01:54 PM, scott wrote:
> The exam would be a more realistic and useful test then if it simply
> gave you a real linux prompt and timed how long it took you to get the
> correct answers to do what it wants. The pass rate would then be on how
> long it took you to get all the answers.

Don't forget that it's not just about being able to /write/ commands to
do stuff; you probably need to be able to /read/ this stuff as well. ;-)

> Knowing where and how to find
> stuff efficiently is far more important than actually knowing it
> (because you could never hope to know even a tiny fraction of all the
> information you have access to). As stated already the stuff you use
> frequently you will remember anyway.

Indeed.

Post a reply to this message