POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paper on automated vehicles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:49 EDT (-0400)
  Paper on automated vehicles (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Paper on automated vehicles
Date: 9 Jan 2013 13:37:04
Message: <50edb8d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/01/2013 10:56 AM, scott wrote:
> Lots of technical detail about how the sensor and control systems work
> in an autonomous car. Pay attention - this is the future!

Lots of people are doing interesting work on AI, but the question I
always have to ask is "why bother with a multi-billion dollar computer
system when a human being can already do the exact same task for a few
pence per hour?"

In this instance, I imagine this and similar designs will never be
popular due to safety factors. The probability of an electronic system
shorting out might be roughly the same as the probability of a human
driver suddenly having an episode due to a previously undiagnosed
medical condition, but since when does probability have any baring on
human decision-making?

Post a reply to this message