POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  This week's WTF moment (Message 27 to 36 of 86)
From: scott
Subject: Re: This week's WTF moment
Date: 15 Jan 2013 12:25:03
Message: <50f590ef$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yes there is, the purpose of an image on a website is to make it look
>> the way it does, the purpose of a program on a website is for you to
>> download and install - it has no other purpose.
>
> I hope that was a joke.

It wasn't.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Jan 2013 12:49:51
Message: <50f596be@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> >> Yes there is, the purpose of an image on a website is to make it look
> >> the way it does, the purpose of a program on a website is for you to
> >> download and install - it has no other purpose.
> >
> > I hope that was a joke.

> It wasn't.

I was talking about copyright. You talk about installations.

Yeah, same thing.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Jan 2013 12:56:01
Message: <50f59830@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > You don't seem to understand the concept that if a work does not state
> > anything about who can use it, then the default is that nobody (except
> > the author) can use it.

> Surely the author loses that right the moment they make it available for
> free to the general public? Otherwise you'd end up with the absurd
> situation where I could upload a program or book I wrote to my website,
> wait a few months, then prosecute all the people who read/installed it
> for not having my permission. It would probably never even get to court
> in the first place, the judge would laugh at you.

So according to your logic, if someone distributes a program on their
website, they relinquish all rights to it.

And that's why, for example, the Free Software Foundation successfully
sues people for breaking their usage license. Wait... Didn't they just
relinquish all rights by publishing the program on their website? They
shouldn't be able to impose their rights, because they lost it.

That's not how it works.

Again: It doesn't matter how you get the program. You still need a legal
license to use it (even if it's a license that grants you the permission
to use it completely free of charge.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message