POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Skyrim modding Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:19 EDT (-0400)
  Skyrim modding (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Skyrim modding
Date: 3 Oct 2012 04:29:19
Message: <506bf75f$1@news.povray.org>
What I've been doing with my life for a few weeks:

Playing around with the Skyrim Creation Kit.

So I finally bit the bullet and decided enough fiddling and tweaking
(there were a few things I wanted to do that are beyond me) and uploaded
my Skyrim mod to the Steam workshop already.

Stupid scripting tricks, including:
- location-triggered lights (because Skyrim's render engine is stoopid
and can only handle, what, 3 lights at a time? so I set it up so the
lights are only active if you're in the right place, else not.  well,
except for one...)
- a candle you can turn on and off!  woohoo!
- a pair of archery targets that reward your marksmanship skill for
hitting them, and moreso for bullseye (wanted to make a moving target,
but playing around with stuff resulted in some ugly bug-behaviour)
- a cage that slowly drains your health down to 15%, because I wanted to
train my restoration magics without having to hunt down one or another
draugr blade trap that'd take forever to whittle me down
- a 'sun' light source that shines through some windows and causes
lovely 'scattering' effect, which moves across the walls and floor as
the day progresses (was a bit of work to get this functioning, and some
questionable math...and I think it's causing some lag, but if they
/could/ do this, why didn't Bethesda, in the regular game places that
have this...?)  Looks absolutely lovely...even if Skyrim's sun cheats
and doesn't have any seasonal variation in its path.  That does reduce
the strain on the CPU...
- ...enough for me to throw an orrery at it, representing Mercury,
Venus, Earth, the Moon, Mars, and Jupiter.  my crowning achievement, I
guess you'd say...the code for it's been on a long journey, from a few
sources on the internet, through a few iterations on my MUD, and now
into glorious 3D form in Skyrim.  except the solar system has absolutely
nothing to do with the universe in the game (Space Sphere mod
notwithstanding).

And, if anybody wants to check it out for themselves...
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100555194

Next step is to somehow build a raytracer...

(just kidding--THAT math is /way/ beyond me)

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com