POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I wonder why Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  I wonder why (Message 21 to 21 of 21)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: I wonder why
Date: 15 Sep 2012 04:43:52
Message: <50543fc8$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2012 05:43 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 9/12/2012 4:38, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Which is amusing, because PDF is a "neutral/common format",
>
> But not easily editable.

This is true - which is my main reason for choosing it, ironically.

The question is, why would anybody want to edit my CV? (And the answer,
apparently, is "to make all the CVs look similar". I guess all that work
I spent on making my CV stand out was totally worth it, eh?)

It's interesting that even if you pay £400 for Adobe's full Acrobat
product, you /still/ can't really "edit" PDF files with it. (!) Given
that this is the only reason for that product existing... wow.

>> Perhaps. Although it's pretty trivial to find keywords in a PDF file too.
>
> Not as easy as with Word, given that Word is scriptable and PDF isn't.

Point of fact: PDF is scriptable. You can embed JavaScript within it.
Our document management system at work did this; you download a document
as PDF, and after X hours the PDF file becomes completely blank.
Annoying as hell, really...

But, tying back to the "you can't edit PDF using commonly available
tools", this kind of scriptability isn't especially useful.

That said, the raw text inside a PDF file is usually only Flate
compressed, so you can just Deflate it and there ya go.