POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Move with the times (Message 111 to 113 of 113)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Move with the times
Date: 4 Oct 2012 15:00:01
Message: <web.506ddc45d9ae175debb90cbd0@news.povray.org>

> >> What makes you think this is an exaggeration?
> >
> > Because no one is seriously talking about watching movies on the screen
> > of a 5 year old flip-phone.
> >
> > As mentioned multiple times already, the screen size and resolution on
> > newer smart phones is at least 4 times as big as your dinosaur's, which
> > makes it more than easily viewable at a comfortable distance.
>
> And as *I* pointed out, the screen /cannot/ be of a reasonable size,
> because then it wouldn't fit in your pocket.
>
> I'm sure you could quite happily watch TV on an iPad. But you can't put
> that in your pocket.

I watch TV series streaming from Netflix to my 3.7" smartphone screen.  While on
the bus.

sorry to hear you got to wear large binoculars for glasses

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Oct 2012 17:02:28
Message: <506df964@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 08:33:42 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> And as *I* pointed out, the screen /cannot/ be of a reasonable size,
>>> because then it wouldn't fit in your pocket.
>>
>> You have abnormally small pockets, then.
>
> Well, let's look at this, shall we?
>
> A CD does not fit in either my trouser pockets or my coat pockets. A CD
> is of course 120mm across, which Google informs me is slightly less than
> 5 inches. So yes, you /can/ fit something larger than 1.5 inch. And
> /no/, you cannot fit 12 inches or something.

Show me a mobile phone that's 12 inches in size.

>> I have used my phone to watch the occasional video.  It's not ideal,
>> but if I'm away from my projector or my laptop, it's a reasonable
>> substitute.
>
> OK, sure. "Reasonable substitute" I can go with. "Full HD experience"?
> Not so much...

If it gives 720xwhatever resolution, it qualifies as full HD.  No, it's
not a 10' screen, but *that* certainly *wouldn't* fit in your pockets
*or* mine. ;)

>> But it's not a 1.5" screen, either, like your dinosaur.
>
> I'm loving how a phone less than 1 year old is a "dinosaur"...

I can't help it that you've opted for an undersized phone and have small
pockets. ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message