POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  It's over (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: It's over
Date: 30 Aug 2012 09:34:38
Message: <503f6bee$1@news.povray.org>
My server room is bereft of servers. For 4 years it's been humming with
computers and switches, routers, a KVM switch, various tape robots, and
so forth. Now it is empty, and silent.

I no longer have the server room key next to my front door key. Now my
keyring holds only a single key.

Everything I've been maintaining has now been either boxed up for
shipping to America, or carted away to be recycled as waste electronic
equipment. (That includes a perfectly functional Dell PowerEdge
rack-mount server with a dual-core Xeon "Woodcrest" CPU, dual-redundant
PSU and hot-swap SAS with 2-way RAID-1.)

I just drove home from my office, which now no longer contains a desk,
chair or computer.

Everywhere the building echoes with emptiness. I have seen my colleagues
of over a decade for the last ever time. (Including the rather cute
accountant.)

Officially, my last day is tomorrow. But I no longer have an access card
to enter the building with. And even if I did, my office is empty,
everything I ever worked on has left the building, and there aren't even
any chairs of the tea room.

The end of an era, my friends, the end of an era.

Considering I don't even *like* the frigging job, I feel oddly
melancholy... :-(

Post a reply to this message