POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Duck tape Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Duck tape (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Duck tape
Date: 24 Aug 2012 15:01:23
Message: <5037cf83$1@news.povray.org>
Is there anything it cannot do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV79et5lglI

Apparently not...

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Duck tape
Date: 24 Aug 2012 16:07:04
Message: <5037dee8$1@news.povray.org>
*Duct* tape, not duck tape (there is a brand called duck tape, but it's
not that common is named after the mispronunciation).  And, to answer
your question, I've heard tell that it's actually not very good at
taping ducts (nor ducks I would presume).

Post a reply to this message

Am 24.08.2012 22:07, schrieb Kevin Wampler:
> *Duct* tape, not duck tape (there is a brand called duck tape, but it's
> not that common is named after the mispronunciation).  And, to answer
> your question, I've heard tell that it's actually not very good at
> taping ducts (nor ducks I would presume).

It's actually pretty likely that "duct tape" is the mispronunciation: It
might well be "duck" in the sense of "canvas".

Post a reply to this message

> Am 24.08.2012 22:07, schrieb Kevin Wampler:
>> *Duct* tape, not duck tape (there is a brand called duck tape, but it's
>> not that common is named after the mispronunciation). And, to answer
>> your question, I've heard tell that it's actually not very good at
>> taping ducts (nor ducks I would presume).
>
> It's actually pretty likely that "duct tape" is the mispronunciation: It
> might well be "duck" in the sense of "canvas".

Wikipedia asserts that nobody is quite sure which one is the original
entomology.

Post a reply to this message

On 24/08/2012 09:07 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> *Duct* tape, not duck tape (there is a brand called duck tape, but it's
> not that common is named after the mispronunciation). And, to answer
> your question, I've heard tell that it's actually not very good at
> taping ducts (nor ducks I would presume).

Wikipedia concurs. It's not very good at sealing stuff.

Actually, Myth Busters agree. It /can/ be waterproof for a while, but
eventually it tends to leak.

Post a reply to this message

> *Duct* tape, not duck tape (there is a brand called duck tape, but it's
> not that common is named after the mispronunciation).  And, to answer
> your question, I've heard tell that it's actually not very good at
> taping ducts (nor ducks I would presume).

You should NOT use it to seal or repair heating ducts as the glue is not
heat-resistant and is inflammable - and so is the canvas, for that matter!