POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Erasure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Erasure (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Invisible
Subject: Erasure
Date: 21 Aug 2012 09:15:29
Message: <503389f1$1@news.povray.org>
Erasing a 8.6 GB HD:

It takes about the same time as erasing a 3 TB HD.

Irony?

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Erasure
Date: 21 Aug 2012 09:25:33
Message: <50338c4d$1@news.povray.org>
Le 21/08/2012 15:15, Invisible a écrit :
> Erasing a 8.6 GB HD:
>
> It takes about the same time as erasing a 3 TB HD.
>
> Irony?

Same technology ? Interface ?

What do you mean by "erasing" ?
 * removing the partition table
 * overwriting the first few sectors with "dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/.. "
 * formatting again the partiton
 * overwriting the whole drive ?

Writing the whole 3 TB drive would take a few hours (at 50 to 100 MB/s,
I let you compute), if I trust the raid5 synchronisation on partitions
of 2TB that I observed.

The three former method are rather quick and might not have too much
impact by the disk size. (at worst, a few extra superblock to be written
along the disk)

Post a reply to this message