POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Google Fiber (Message 41 to 50 of 55)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Google Fiber
Date: 3 Aug 2012 13:30:03
Message: <501c0a9b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 03/08/2012 19:21, Darren New nous fit lire :
> On 8/2/2012 13:12, clipka wrote:
>> On a typical point-to-point link between a gamer's computer and the
>> internet
>> provider, the data transfer rate has absolutely, positively /nothing/
>> to do
>> with latency.
>
> This isn't true. The higher the throughput, the faster the end of the
> packet arrives after the beginning has been sent.
>
> Send a 1K packet 100 miles over a 300-baud modem. Now send a 1K packet
> 100 miles over a gigabit fiber. Which gets there first if you start them
> at the same time?

A case does not make a general truth.

Please considere the bandwidth of a 747 filled with dual layer DVD-R (or
now blu-ray).
It will blast even your fiber, on raw value of provided bandwidth.
Yet, the plane won't leave before it get full... may take a few hours of
latency to cover the 100 miles (most on ground).

Bandwidth and latency are not always connected. In fact, for a real
situation, a satellite link (dedicated, you have $$$) is really a big
bandwidth, yet the latency is uncompressible, and worse than a fiber to
make a 100 miles trip.

Post a reply to this message