POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  YouTube (Message 31 to 33 of 33)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: YouTube
Date: 7 Aug 2012 16:37:57
Message: <50217ca5$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:12:56 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 07/08/2012 06:11 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:40:24 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> I know what Kinect is. I wasn't sure whether it's the /only/ such
>>> system on the market, that's all.
>>
>> Kinect, Wii, PlayStation eye are the ones I'm aware of.
>
> I know the Wii has hand controllers with velocity sensors. I didn't
> think it had a /visual/ detection system though...

Hmmm, now you mention it, I'm not sure that one is visual either.  The
PS3 one is, though.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Aug 2012 17:21:44
Message: <502186e8@news.povray.org>
> > I know the Wii has hand controllers with velocity sensors. I didn't
> > think it had a /visual/ detection system though...

> Hmmm, now you mention it, I'm not sure that one is visual either.  The
> PS3 one is, though.

The Wii can detect where you are pointing the controller at, and it does
this using infrared sensors. (I don't remember for sure, but I think it
was like the infrared leds are at the TV, and the controller has a sensor
that detects where the infrared light is coming from.)

The Kinect is much more advanced in that it actually detects your entire
body (and can recognize the positions of heads, hands and feet). I think
that it can even recognize individual people to a certain extent, but I
might remember wrong.

On the other hand, you can't "point at" anything with the Kinect, like
you can with the Wii controller. (You can simply "place" eg. your hand
at a certain location on the screen, but that's not the same as pointing
at it.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message