POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The job hunt continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  The job hunt continues (Message 1 to 10 of 52)
From: Invisible
Subject: The job hunt continues
Date: 4 Jul 2012 04:55:58
Message: <4ff4051e$1@news.povray.org>
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say "I'm actually /attempting/ to
find work again". Because for quite a while, I simply gave up. It's too
intractably difficult.

It's the weirdest thing though... First one of the girls in the office
emailed me with a job. Usually that means something involving computers,
but otherwise laughably unsuitable. ("You do something about computers,
right?") But this one was actually a Windows system administrator, just
a few miles from my front door. That's pretty much exactly what I'm after.

And then my sister emailed me three further jobs, which are all in my
home town and all involve computer programming of one sort or another.

So without performing a single search operation, I've already got 4 jobs
to apply for. Really /ideal/ jobs. I updated my CV a bit and sent those out.

That was this weekend. On Monday I logged back into Linked-In for the
first time in several years. It still insists that my profile is "65%
complete" and that I should "finish" it by adding the rest of my
achievements. "No no, I don't /have/ any more achievements!" Still, what
does a machine know?

I tweaked a little bit of the data, but basically all of it is still
correct. It's not like I've /done/ anything in 3 years. And then I
logged out.

Now suddenly I'm getting phone calls every few hours from agents asking
me if I'm interested in this job or that job. Mostly hard-core
programming jobs, almost all in my city. So I /still/ haven't done any
searching, and yet I've applied for several jobs at this point.

(Actually, that's not true. I did a job search on Linked-In. The result
was garbage. The /only/ parameters I put in where that it be an IT job
and somewhere near to where I live. Apparently the site does not
understand what "near to where I like" means. This seems to be a
pervasive problem with job search engines...)

I always knew there must /be/ IT jobs in my city. And yet, I've never
been able to find any. It's as if they're all invisible or something.
And now, suddenly I seem to be being showered with suitable jobs. (Well,
maybe not "showered". More like "lightly drizzled on".)

And the baffling thing is... I have absolutely no idea how all these
agents have suddenly got hold of my telephone number and email address.
I can't figure out whether it's Linked-In, or one of the sites I applied
for a job through, or what. All the agents seem to have "seen my CV on
the Internet", but I haven't figured out how yet...

Post a reply to this message

To adept a phrase: 'in Milton Keynes jobs hunt you'.

Post a reply to this message

> And the baffling thing is... I have absolutely no idea how all these
> agents have suddenly got hold of my telephone number and email address.
> I can't figure out whether it's Linked-In, or one of the sites I applied
> for a job through, or what. All the agents seem to have "seen my CV on
> the Internet", but I haven't figured out how yet...

Just count your blessings.  Due to medical issues, it's unlikely I'll ever find
another job in IT.  (Who wants an IT employee part-time with a huge gap in his
CV?)

(P.o-t doesn't show up in search engines, so I can say this, right?)

Post a reply to this message