POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just ask Google Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Just ask Google (Message 28 to 37 of 47)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Just ask Google
Date: 19 Jul 2012 10:32:50
Message: <50081a92$1@news.povray.org>
>> One of the discussions suggests that the correct search term is "shell
>> host". This does indeed appear to generate a lot of hits...
>
> A shell host means that they give you a complete VM to yourself and you
> can do whatever you want

I thought the term for that was "virtual server"? (Or "dedicated server"
if the physical hardware is not shared - usually very expensive!)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Just ask Unix
Date: 19 Jul 2012 10:34:30
Message: <50081af6$1@news.povray.org>
On 19/07/2012 10:24 AM, Invisible wrote:

> Now, how much do you want to bet that a non-trivial program compiled on
> one Unix box won't run on another Unix box? :-/

A simple test confirms that this is indeed the case. Compile
HelloWorld.c on OpenSUSE and it works. Copy it to Debian and it
complains about lots of lib.so files not existing...

Apparently the solution is http://www.pgbovine.net/cde.html

Post a reply to this message

Le 2012-07-19 10:32, Invisible a écrit :
>>> One of the discussions suggests that the correct search term is "shell
>>> host". This does indeed appear to generate a lot of hits...
>>
>> A shell host means that they give you a complete VM to yourself and you
>> can do whatever you want
>
> I thought the term for that was "virtual server"? (Or "dedicated server"
> if the physical hardware is not shared - usually very expensive!)

Well you might have shell access on a shared server, but with the advent
of easier virtualization, it's easier to just give you a VM rather than
worrying about the security mightmares of having multiple users
installing software on the same machine.