POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzling exchange Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  A puzzling exchange (Message 11 to 20 of 52)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: A puzzling exchange
Date: 14 Jul 2012 07:15:08
Message: <500154bc$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/07/2012 8:20 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> and yes, Microsoft is the biggest monopoly ever.
>
> Yeah...

A monopoly of what?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Jul 2012 14:22:03
Message: <5001b8cb@news.povray.org>
Em 14/07/2012 02:32, Tim Cook escreveu:
> On 2012-07-13 21:51, nemesis wrote:

>> english
>> word...
>

> loot.

it was kinda obvious, yes.  Now I'm puzzled about loot... :p

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 14 Jul 2012 16:57:39
Message: <5001dd43$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.07.2012 20:22, schrieb nemesis:
> Em 14/07/2012 02:32, Tim Cook escreveu:
>> On 2012-07-13 21:51, nemesis wrote:

>>> english
>>> word...
>>

>> loot.
>
> it was kinda obvious, yes.  Now I'm puzzled about loot... :p

Originates from the same language as shampoo.

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 15 Jul 2012 02:35:01
Message: <web.500263e6eedf81c185de7b680@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 2012-07-13 21:51, nemesis wrote:

> > word...
>

> loot.

Hey, English is a mongrel language, and we're damn proud of it!

Post a reply to this message

>> it was kinda obvious, yes. Now I'm puzzled about loot... :p
>
> Originates from the same language as shampoo.

I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
comes from french...

wikipedying it up, just wanted to be sure of people's cultural level
around here... :)

Post a reply to this message

>>> it was kinda obvious, yes. Now I'm puzzled about loot... :p
>>
>> Originates from the same language as shampoo.
>
> I find it ironic that a german guy is teaching me that an english word
> comes from french...

Wait - Tim's a German?

> wikipedying it up, just wanted to be sure of people's cultural level
> around here... :)

Not plaza, sushi, kangaroo, robot, loot nor shampoo though. BTW, only
two of these words originate from the same language, namely loot and
shampoo.

All these are comparatively recent imports, by the way - a lot of
"native" English words stem from other languages, too - imported by
countless invaders and immigrants. (But I guess I'm not telling you any
knews there.) An international language indeed, even at its very roots ;-)

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/07/2012 18:13, clipka nous fit lire :

> Not plaza, sushi, kangaroo, robot, loot nor shampoo though.

I would say: Italia, Japan, Australia (native = I do not know), Russia
and a double doubtful India for the end ?

Post a reply to this message

Am 15.07.2012 18:24, schrieb Le_Forgeron:
> Le 15/07/2012 18:13, clipka nous fit lire :
>
>> Not plaza, sushi, kangaroo, robot, loot nor shampoo though.
>
> I would say: Italia, Japan, Australia (native = I do not know), Russia
> and a double doubtful India for the end ?

As far as I know you're perfectly right. (Though India has a lot of
languages to offer :-P)

Post a reply to this message

> a lot of "native" English words stem from other languages,

English is a Germanic language as is Scots, not to mistaken for the
Keltic Gaelic

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> a lot of "native" English words stem from other languages,
>
> English is a Germanic language as is Scots, not to mistaken for the
> Keltic Gaelic

At least the Normans left a strong Romanic imprint in the vocabulary though.