POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Looking for the title of a movie Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for the title of a movie (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Looking for the title of a movie
Date: 21 Jun 2012 12:05:26
Message: <4fe34645@news.povray.org>

> >> That's not a search keyword. That's the answer.
> >
> > It's like an NP decision problem; the solution can be easily verified,
> > but not easily computed.
> >
> > (Except that it's not a decision problem. And we've not talking about
> > computation, we're talking about Google searches. And that this is a
> > horrible analogy...)

> Maybe deep down at the core of the problem it /is/ an NP decision problem?

  Not really. If the input is all the movie covers in existence, then a
linear search would be enough to find the described one.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 21 Jun 2012 14:18:16
Message: <4fe36568@news.povray.org>
Am 21.06.2012 18:05, schrieb Warp:
> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:

>>> It's like an NP decision problem; the solution can be easily verified,
>>> but not easily computed.
>>>
>>> (Except that it's not a decision problem. And we've not talking about
>>> computation, we're talking about Google searches. And that this is a
>>> horrible analogy...)
>
>> Maybe deep down at the core of the problem it /is/ an NP decision problem?
>
>    Not really. If the input is all the movie covers in existence, then a
> linear search would be enough to find the described one.

I guess it's more complex than that: You don't want /the/ match (because
your question is too fuzzy for an exact one), but the /best/ one.

The metric for the quality of the match would have to include contextual
analysis; and this analysis needs to be more fine-grained the more
candidates you have.