POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Leaves Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:50 EDT (-0400)
  Leaves (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Leaves
Date: 22 May 2012 10:39:27
Message: <4fbba51f$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/05/2012 2:31 PM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Le_Forgeron<lef### [at] freefr>  wrote:
>> hint about Rhubarb (Exhibit A from Invisible): the leaf is toxic (as is
>> the root). This greatly reduces the impact of being eaten.
>>
>> (the branch is edible for human, stay away from leaf&  root!).
>
> More than edible, it's downright tasty!
> :D

Raw, dipped in a poke of sugar. Yum yum.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 May 2012 10:56:48
Message: <4fbba930@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Still doesn't explain why every type of tree has completely different
> leaves. Nor why it grows thousands of tiny ones rather than several big
> ones.

  Wind is probably a huge factor.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 22 May 2012 10:57:38
Message: <4FBBA963.4080105@gmail.com>
On 22-5-2012 14:38, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/05/2012 10:07, scott a écrit :
>
>> 3) Leaves fail all the time, they get eaten, blown off, snapped off etc.
>>   If you've only got a few large sheets then there isn't much redundancy
>> in the system, your tree will likely die if just 1 or 2 leaves get broken.
>
> hint about Rhubarb (Exhibit A from Invisible): the leaf is toxic (as is
> the root). This greatly reduces the impact of being eaten.
>
> (the branch is edible for human, stay away from leaf&  root!).

I beg to differ. Rhubarb is not edible at all. (it is in fact the only
vegetable that is eaten only by others)

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 May 2012 11:07:03
Message: <4fbbab97@news.povray.org>
On 22/05/2012 03:56 PM, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Still doesn't explain why every type of tree has completely different
>> leaves. Nor why it grows thousands of tiny ones rather than several big
>> ones.
>
>    Wind is probably a huge factor.

OK, yeah, that would explain why you don't want just one giant leaf.

Still not sure why every plant species has to have a completely
different leaf design.

Also, wind might explain why you'd want smaller leaves, but it doesn't
explain why you'd want leaves with wavy edges, or holes through the
middle, or any of the other strange shapes plants grow their leaves.

Post a reply to this message