POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific inquiry Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific inquiry (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Scientific inquiry
Date: 22 May 2012 11:47:29
Message: <4fbbb511$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/05/2012 04:30 PM, scott wrote:
> IME (which might be out of date by now) the BIOS does actually use 100%
> CPU. I guess it just never puts the CPU to sleep, and loops waiting for
> a keypress.

Yeah, I've seen various DOS and BIOS programs that use busy-waiting
rather than suspending the CPU. So that /might/ be the cause.

OTOH, under Windows the fan quickly ramps up to maximum speed also. This
suggests to me that the problem is simply that the CPU is overheating.

> Have you checked the heatsink is properly attached to the CPU? That
> would be my guess.

The purpose of all the measuring was to determine whether the fault is
the temperature sensors reporting an erroneously high temperature, or
the cooling system failing to cool the CPU.

The heat-sink /looks/ to be attached securely enough. There is also
nothing obviously wrong with the heat pipe or the fans. It's quite a new
laptop, and I can't see any sign of dust build-in in the air vents. It's
all quite puzzling...