POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : C++ compiler Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:22 EDT (-0400)
  C++ compiler (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: C++ compiler
Date: 15 Apr 2012 06:11:54
Message: <4f8a9eea$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so does anybody know of a good tree C++ compiler for Windows?

I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
days it stops working and demands a license key.

I suppose there's always GCC - if I install a damned Unix emulator. >_<

I think Watcom used to make a C compiler...

Post a reply to this message

> OK, so does anybody know of a good tree C++ compiler for Windows?

> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
> days it stops working and demands a license key.

  Then get the license key. It's free.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

Le 15/04/2012 12:26, Warp nous fit lire :
> Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> OK, so does anybody know of a good tree C++ compiler for Windows?
>
>> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
>> days it stops working and demands a license key.
>
>   Then get the license key. It's free.

I second that.

The license for MSVC 10 (or whatever) is free. And they are not even
trying to spam you with lot of email (I know, I had such key)

The real sickness of MSVC is the C compiler: K&R only. C++ is ok.

Post a reply to this message

>>> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
>>> days it stops working and demands a license key.
>>
>>    Then get the license key. It's free.
>>
> I second that.
>
> The license for MSVC 10 (or whatever) is free. And they are not even
> trying to spam you with lot of email (I know, I had such key)

I third that.

Had the C++ and C# express versions installed on all my machines for
ages now (and I think I needed to register for a new key each time I
installed, it took some trivial amount of time to get the key and enter
it, otherwise I would have remembered).

Post a reply to this message

>> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
>> days it stops working and demands a license key.
>
>    Then get the license key. It's free.

As soon as I click the link, it wants me to "log in". Damned if I'm
going to jump through that many hoops just to use something that's
/supposed/ to be freely usable. :-P

Post a reply to this message

>>> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
>>> days it stops working and demands a license key.
>>
>> Then get the license key. It's free.
>
> As soon as I click the link, it wants me to "log in". Damned if I'm
> going to jump through that many hoops just to use something that's
> /supposed/ to be freely usable. :-P

So the value of having Visual Studio Express is less than one minute of
your time?  Your time must be *really* expensive :-)

Personally (and I'm sure I'm not alone) I would happily have paid up to

Post a reply to this message

> >> I mistakenly thought VisualStudio Express was free, but in fact after X
> >> days it stops working and demands a license key.
> >
> >    Then get the license key. It's free.

> As soon as I click the link, it wants me to "log in". Damned if I'm
> going to jump through that many hoops just to use something that's
> /supposed/ to be freely usable. :-P

  You can complain about the "difficulty" of registering it and try to
use something else, or you could simply spend a few minutes registering.
You only have to do it once.

  (Nevertheless, do you wonder anymore why so many developers prefer Linux?)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Personally (and I'm sure I'm not alone) I would happily have paid up to

Damn. You must have A LOT of money. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>    You can complain about the "difficulty" of registering it and try to
> use something else, or you could simply spend a few minutes registering.
> You only have to do it once.

And by "once" I presume you mean "every single time you want to install
this program".

>    (Nevertheless, do you wonder anymore why so many developers prefer Linux?)

Well, Visual Studio does work nicer than KDevelop; I'll say that for it.

But yeah, Unix was always intended to be a platform for software
developers and similar experts.

Post a reply to this message

>> Personally (and I'm sure I'm not alone) I would happily have paid up to

> Damn. You must have A LOT of money. ;-)

No, I just used it a lot over the last few years...