POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monitor sizes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:31:11 EDT (-0400)
  Monitor sizes (Message 1 to 10 of 70)
From: Warp
Subject: Monitor sizes
Date: 7 Mar 2012 14:36:46
Message: <4f57b8ce@news.povray.org>
It's a common phenomenon that things like hard drive sizes, RAM sizes
and processor speeds tend to grow at a superlinear rate over time in
home computers. (I won't say "exponential" because someone recently
complained about that, and I don't have hard data to back up that claim.)
Very typically, for example, each new hard drive one buys tends to be
larger than the combined sizes of all hard drives that person has bought
in the past. (I'm of course talking about the average computer user rather
than those who buy hard drives like candy, eg. because they need them for
multimedia projects or something.)

  Monitor screen sizes do not seem to follow this trend, however, and
seem to grow a lot more linearly.

  The very first monitor I owned (which I bought with my own money, and
hence was fully mine) was a 15-inch monitor. The next one was a 17-inch,
and the next one a 19-inch monitor (all of them CRTs). I recently put that
latter one out of its misery and replaced it with a 24-inch LED monitor.
(Although this last one is a 19:6 monitor while all the previous ones were
4:3, this last one is a bit larger even on the vertical dimension than the
old 19-inch one.)

  While I skipped the 21-inch step in between the last two, the growth has
nevertheless been very linear. (In fact, I had the 19-inch monitor for quite
a long time. I did not want to jump to LCDs before they had fully matured.
Finally I decided it was time. While this has a few drawbacks compared to
my good old 19-inch CRT, I'm quite happy with it. It's also great for
watching movies and playing games. The difference in size and aspect ratio
is just amazing.)

  Physical weight has been more varied. The weight clearly increased with
monitor size, but then had a huge drop with the last one. (The 19-inch CRT
is so heavy that you could break your back trying to carry it, while this
24-inch LED monitor is so light that you can *easily* carry it with one
hand.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    It's a common phenomenon that things like hard drive sizes, RAM sizes
> and processor speeds tend to grow at a superlinear rate over time in
> home computers. (I won't say "exponential" because someone recently
> complained about that, and I don't have hard data to back up that claim.)
> Very typically, for example, each new hard drive one buys tends to be
> larger than the combined sizes of all hard drives that person has bought
> in the past. (I'm of course talking about the average computer user rather
> than those who buy hard drives like candy, eg. because they need them for
> multimedia projects or something.)
>
>    Monitor screen sizes do not seem to follow this trend, however, and
> seem to grow a lot more linearly.
>
>    The very first monitor I owned (which I bought with my own money, and
> hence was fully mine) was a 15-inch monitor. The next one was a 17-inch,
> and the next one a 19-inch monitor (all of them CRTs). I recently put that
> latter one out of its misery and replaced it with a 24-inch LED monitor.
> (Although this last one is a 19:6 monitor while all the previous ones were
> 4:3, this last one is a bit larger even on the vertical dimension than the
> old 19-inch one.)
>
>    While I skipped the 21-inch step in between the last two, the growth has
> nevertheless been very linear. (In fact, I had the 19-inch monitor for quite
> a long time. I did not want to jump to LCDs before they had fully matured.
> Finally I decided it was time. While this has a few drawbacks compared to
> my good old 19-inch CRT, I'm quite happy with it. It's also great for
> watching movies and playing games. The difference in size and aspect ratio
> is just amazing.)
>
>    Physical weight has been more varied. The weight clearly increased with
> monitor size, but then had a huge drop with the last one. (The 19-inch CRT
> is so heavy that you could break your back trying to carry it, while this
> 24-inch LED monitor is so light that you can *easily* carry it with one
> hand.)

Pretty much the path I took as well ... one big difference! At first I
thought it was absurd to have two displays, but now I find I couldn't
even imagine settling for just one display. The extra "real estate" is a
must for development work.

Post a reply to this message