POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The 9th amendment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  The 9th amendment (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: The 9th amendment
Date: 6 Apr 2012 15:07:35
Message: <4f7f3ef7@news.povray.org>
Could someone explain to me in plain terms what the 9th amendment to the
United States constitution means?

  Wikipedia has a wall of text about it, but it's a bit difficult to
understand the gist of it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: The 9th amendment
Date: 6 Apr 2012 15:20:11
Message: <4f7f41eb$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/6/2012 12:07 PM, Warp wrote:
>    Could someone explain to me in plain terms what the 9th amendment to the
> United States constitution means?
>
>    Wikipedia has a wall of text about it, but it's a bit difficult to
> understand the gist of it.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly it's saying that just
because *some* rights are listed in the constitution doesn't should not
be taken to mean that these are the *only* rights afforded under it.
This is done to invalidate arguments of the following sort:

"If there were a right to privacy it would have been listed in the
constitution.  Since it's not listed, there's no such right afforded to
the people."

At least that's what I recall.  I also don't know what the modern
interpretation of this amendment is, although since you brought it up I
guess it's time to read up and find out.

Post a reply to this message