POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Epic failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:03 EDT (-0400)
  Epic failure (Message 6 to 15 of 55)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Epic failure
Date: 16 Mar 2012 10:45:08
Message: <4f6351f4@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> >> Required CAD quote: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20030606
> >
> >    OTOH, how do you define "hacking"?

> I think the necessary criterion is that it's any activity requiring
> technical knowledge and skill.

  It may be necessary, but not sufficient. I can write a program that
calculates the mandelbrot set, but that's not usually considered hacking.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 16 Mar 2012 10:57:34
Message: <4f6354de$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/03/2012 2:38 PM, Invisible wrote:
> And then of course, in everyday culture "hacking" refers only to
> technical activities which are in some way /illegal/. :-P

I will go with that definition ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 16 Mar 2012 11:29:40
Message: <4f635c64$1@news.povray.org>
>>>     OTOH, how do you define "hacking"?
>
>> I think the necessary criterion is that it's any activity requiring
>> technical knowledge and skill.
>
>    It may be necessary, but not sufficient. I can write a program that
> calculates the mandelbrot set, but that's not usually considered hacking.

Well, I would consider that hacking. But I guess the fundamental point
is that the word lacks a coherent definition...

Post a reply to this message