POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Amnesia: The Dark Descent Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:41 EDT (-0400)
  Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Darren New
Subject: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Date: 20 Feb 2012 18:30:11
Message: <4f42d783@news.povray.org>
I liked it. Coming from someone who isn't especially in to "scary" games and
didn't find it scary, it was a good adventure game. Indeed, the attempts at
being scary were more annoying than frightening (give me back my WASD
already!). It certainly has a reputation as a very frightening game, but I
don't get frightened by such things, really.

However, it's also an adventure game, in the sense of "collect the parts you
need to create the method for moving forward." And in this sense, I thought
it succeeded quite well. It was rather linear level-wise except for a couple
of levels, but the goals were clear and the puzzles comprehensible, without
any "here's a combination lock, go hunt down the combination" type feel so
common in many other adventure games. (Note, no more linear than many FPS
games, but much more linear than, say, Riven. It's just that once you solved
a given "level" you moved onto the next with no way to return. There were a
number of "hub" levels where you went through several different loads you
could exit and re-enter, but as you go on, stuff happens to keep you from
returning to that hub, and now you're working out of the next hub.)

So, if you like adventure games, even if scary games aren't your thing, give
Amnesia a try.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)