POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day of failure Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Another day of failure (Message 50 to 59 of 59)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Another day of failure
Date: 4 Mar 2012 06:58:45
Message: <4f5358f5$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.03.2012 08:41, schrieb Warp:
> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>> You're not going to be Michael Phelps doing it this way - but nobody
>> claimed you would be.
>
>    It's not about speed, but about efficiency. "Taking a break" by swimming
> in a less efficient (and hence more tiring) way sounds counterproductive.
> If you need to take a break, then just stop at the end of the pool.

I personally prefer swimming on my back to take a break. Not recommended
in rough sea of course.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Mar 2012 14:04:21
Message: <4f53bcb5@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 02:41:22 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> You're not going to be Michael Phelps doing it this way - but nobody
>> claimed you would be.
>
>   It's not about speed, but about efficiency. "Taking a break" by
>   swimming
> in a less efficient (and hence more tiring) way sounds
> counterproductive.
> If you need to take a break, then just stop at the end of the pool.

Personal experience on my part shows that it's not "more tiring" to do
that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Mar 2012 14:04:38
Message: <4f53bcc6@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 12:58:45 +0100, clipka wrote:

> Am 04.03.2012 08:41, schrieb Warp:
>> Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
>>> You're not going to be Michael Phelps doing it this way - but nobody
>>> claimed you would be.
>>
>>    It's not about speed, but about efficiency. "Taking a break" by
>>    swimming
>> in a less efficient (and hence more tiring) way sounds
>> counterproductive.
>> If you need to take a break, then just stop at the end of the pool.
>
> I personally prefer swimming on my back to take a break. Not recommended
> in rough sea of course.

That also works. :)

Except in rough seas, as you note. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 4 Mar 2012 14:51:33
Message: <4f53c7c5$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/3/2012 23:12, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Nobody really said it was the most efficient way to swim, just that this
> is a way to handle it when you need a break.

That's why I like freestyle. If you want to relax a bit, just roll onto your
side and take a couple breaths before continuing.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> > Nobody really said it was the most efficient way to swim, just that this
> > is a way to handle it when you need a break.

> That's why I like freestyle. If you want to relax a bit, just roll onto your
> side and take a couple breaths before continuing.

  Let's start a freestylers vs. breaststrokers flamewar.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 15:50:37 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On 3/3/2012 23:12, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> > Nobody really said it was the most efficient way to swim, just that
>> > this is a way to handle it when you need a break.
>
>> That's why I like freestyle. If you want to relax a bit, just roll onto
>> your side and take a couple breaths before continuing.
>
>   Let's start a freestylers vs. breaststrokers flamewar.

Let's not.  It's not worth it. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>    Let's start a freestylers vs. breaststrokers flamewar.
> Let's not.  It's not worth it. :)

I suggest a flamewar about free breasts.

Am 06.03.2012 04:05, schrieb Darren New:
>>> Let's start a freestylers vs. breaststrokers flamewar.
>> Let's not. It's not worth it. :)
>
> I suggest a flamewar about free breasts.

Is that "free" as in "free beer", or "free software"?

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:05:36 -0800, Darren New wrote:

>>>    Let's start a freestylers vs. breaststrokers flamewar.
>> Let's not.  It's not worth it. :)
>
> I suggest a flamewar about free breasts.

Probably more worth it. ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> >> Let's not. It's not worth it. :)
> >
> > I suggest a flamewar about free breasts.
>
> Is that "free" as in "free beer", or "free software"?

Puts a new slant on 'breaststrokers' at any rate.