POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is relevant to my interests Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  This is relevant to my interests (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: This is relevant to my interests
Date: 14 Feb 2012 04:24:01
Message: <4f3a2831$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 9:09 AM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> On 2/13/2012 12:16, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> BTW, there is more part of Africa (continent) in the Northern hemisphere
>>> than in Southern.
>>

>> Fun fact: If you took all the sand in northern africa and spread it out
>> flat, it would cover an area the size of the Sahara!
>
> Did you know: if all the people in the world linked arms around the equator,
> two-thirds of them would drown.

Did you know that if you put all the students who fell asleep in
lectures, head to toe on the ground? They would be more comfortable.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 14 Feb 2012 05:46:27
Message: <4f3a3b83$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 8:24 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 14/02/2012 9:09 AM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>>

>>> Fun fact: If you took all the sand in northern africa and spread it out
>>> flat, it would cover an area the size of the Sahara!
>>
>> Did you know: if all the people in the world linked arms around the
>> equator,
>> two-thirds of them would drown.
>>

> Did you know that if you put all the students who fell asleep in
> lectures, head to toe on the ground? They would be more comfortable.

Did you know that in a single trip from Sydney to London a Boeing 747
will use approximately as much fuel as one going the other way.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Feb 2012 08:49:58
Message: <4f3a6686$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 10:46, Paul Fuller wrote:

> Did you know that in a single trip from Sydney to London a Boeing 747
> will use approximately as much fuel as one going the other way.

I'm going to contest this one. I was under the impression that the
various jet streams make it significantly more fuel-efficient in one
direction than the other...

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 14 Feb 2012 09:27:02
Message: <4f3a6f36$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/02/2012 19:30, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Really? I thought that apart from South America, most of the southern
>> hemisphere was water.
>
>> OK. That's interesting. I always thought the equator was all desert...
>
>    I really think you should cut the "being deliberately ignorant of things
> that would become clear with 10 seconds of googling" trait.

Well, clearly roses don't grow in a desert, so my information cannot be
correct. I was merely expressing surprise at that.

The equator is the hottest place on Earth. You would logically think
that this would be desert, and the slightly cooler lands north and south
of it would be tropical jungle. Apparently this is not the case somehow
- a surprising and interesting result...

Post a reply to this message

From: Paul Fuller
Date: 14 Feb 2012 11:15:52
Message: <4f3a88b8$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/02/2012 12:49 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 14/02/2012 10:46, Paul Fuller wrote:
>
>> Did you know that in a single trip from Sydney to London a Boeing 747
>> will use approximately as much fuel as one going the other way.
>
> I'm going to contest this one. I was under the impression that the
> various jet streams make it significantly more fuel-efficient in one
> direction than the other...

Contest away.  I expected nothing less.

London to Sydney is normally going to spend a lower proportion of time
in favourable jet streams than say New York to London where I think they
can often take great advantage from the North Polar Jet Stream.  The
great circle path from NY to London is pretty close to the normal jet
stream position and they are at the right altitude.  London to Sydney on
the other hand you cross the generally weaker Sub-Tropical Jets more
obliquely.  They are also at an altitude generally higher than
commercial flights.

I allowed for some slippage by using 'approximately'.  I'm guessing but
I think the difference for Sydney-London vs. London-Sydney would be
negligible or in the low single digit % - all other things being equal.
  Note that it requires a re-fueling stop either way in current
commercial airliners.  It is a damned long haul.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 14 Feb 2012 13:13:59
Message: <4F3AA468.4040302@gmail.com>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Feb 2012 14:58:06
Message: <4f3abcce$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 4:15 PM, Paul Fuller wrote:
> It is a damned long haul.

I've done it there and back twice and you are damned right.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Feb 2012 15:02:04
Message: <4f3abdbc$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 6:14 PM, andrel wrote:
> On 14-2-2012 15:26, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> Well, clearly roses don't grow in a desert, so my information cannot be
>> correct. I was merely expressing surprise at that.
>>
>> The equator is the hottest place on Earth.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro

For completeness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremes_on_Earth#Coldest_and_hottest_inhabited_places_on_Earth

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 14 Feb 2012 15:13:03
Message: <4F3AC050.7000403@gmail.com>
On 14-2-2012 21:02, Stephen wrote:
> On 14/02/2012 6:14 PM, andrel wrote:
>> On 14-2-2012 15:26, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> Well, clearly roses don't grow in a desert, so my information cannot be
>>> correct. I was merely expressing surprise at that.
>>>
>>> The equator is the hottest place on Earth.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro
>>

> For completeness

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremes_on_Earth#Coldest_and_hottest_inhabited_places_on_Earth

The point was that the Kilimanjaro is almost on the equator but still
has snow on top. but I guess you got that.
Indeed your link is another reason why hottest is not the right word here.

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Feb 2012 16:02:57
Message: <4f3acc01$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/02/2012 8:13 PM, andrel wrote:
> The point was that the Kilimanjaro is almost on the equator but still
> has snow on top. but I guess you got that.

I did indeed.

> Indeed your link is another reason why hottest is not the right word here.

True, maybe Andrew would like to plot the results here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records#Highest_temperature_ever_recorded

--
Regards
     Stephen