POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is such a bad idea... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  This is such a bad idea... (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Invisible
Subject: This is such a bad idea...
Date: 24 Jan 2012 07:02:58
Message: <4f1e9df2@news.povray.org>
http://tinyurl.com/7mhxu35

It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
*should*. o_O

They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: This is such a bad idea...
Date: 24 Jan 2012 11:33:55
Message: <4f1edd73$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:02:57 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/7mhxu35
>
> It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
> *should*. o_O
>
> They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.

Does seem like a good way to put yourself in the hospital....Sharp spring-
loaded blade near one's wrist.....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 24/01/2012 4:33 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:02:57 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/7mhxu35
>>
>> It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
>> *should*. o_O
>>
>> They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.
>
> Does seem like a good way to put yourself in the hospital....Sharp spring-
> loaded blade near one's wrist.....

Evolution in action. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
> *should*. o_O
>
> They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.

The first comment on the page is golden.

There is a reason that Darwin is not just another English family name.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> > Does seem like a good way to put yourself in the hospital....Sharp spring-
> > loaded blade near one's wrist.....

> Evolution in action. ;-)

  Wouldn't it be more like natural selection?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>> Does seem like a good way to put yourself in the hospital....Sharp spring-
>>> loaded blade near one's wrist.....
>
>> Evolution in action. ;-)
>
>    Wouldn't it be more like natural selection?

Yes, but it was a catch phrase from a book I read a long time ago.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Jan 2012 14:00:00
Message: <web.4f1efeb8c87d5cad2781b77c0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_at@aoldotcom> wrote:

> >> Evolution in action. ;-)
> >
> >    Wouldn't it be more like natural selection?
> >
> Yes, but it was a catch phrase from a book I read a long time ago.

Larry Niven. I thought it was A Gift From Earth but it turned out to be Oath Of
Fealty after a speculative google...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Jan 2012 14:31:35
Message: <4f1f0717@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2012 6:58 PM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
>> >  Yes, but it was a catch phrase from a book I read a long time ago.
> Larry Niven. I thought it was A Gift From Earth but it turned out to be Oath Of
> Fealty after a speculative google...

So it is. :-D
I was thinking along the lines of John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider or
The Sheep Look Up. I must re-read them again.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 24 Jan 2012 21:49:58
Message: <4f1f6dd6@news.povray.org>

> http://tinyurl.com/7mhxu35
>
> It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
> *should*. o_O
>
> They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.

There is on thing that I find prety ironic.
As it is, spring activated, it's an illegal weapon.
BUT, if it was gun powder activated, and MUCH more dangerous, then it
becomes legal, at least in some parts of the USA...

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 25 Jan 2012 08:39:13
Message: <4f200601$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/24/2012 9:49 PM, Alain wrote:

>> http://tinyurl.com/7mhxu35
>>
>> It's neat that you could build this... but that doesn't mean that you
>> *should*. o_O
>>
>> They call it "fiction" for a reason, after all.
>
> There is on thing that I find prety ironic.
> As it is, spring activated, it's an illegal weapon.
> BUT, if it was gun powder activated, and MUCH more dangerous, then it
> becomes legal, at least in some parts of the USA...

How about electromagnets?

Regards,
John