POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : In Crysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  In Crysis (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: In Crysis
Date: 24 Jan 2012 14:34:31
Message: <4f1f07c7$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2012 13:42, Invisible wrote:
> On 24/01/2012 01:39 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> Usually this indicates the system paging data back in from disk. Except
>>> that this is impossible. My PC has an insane EIGHT GIGABYTES OF RAM!
>>> (Yes, I know it's excessive, but it was surprisingly cheap.) The entire
>>> game is only 6GB. I don't even *need* a harddrive; THE ENTIRE GAME FITS
>>> IN RAM! Even though it's Crysis! Amazing, but true. So... WTF is pausing
>>> it?!
>>
>> Win32 apps can only use 2GB of memory (three with OS tweaking). Having
>> 8GB only means it shouldn't swap the game out to run an OS function
>> because something triggered an interupt.
>
> I'm actually running a 64-bit edition of Windows. However, I would
> assume that Crysis is a 32-bit application, so I guess your assessment
> stands.

On further reflection... Crysis can use only 2GB of RAM, but surely the
OS can use all that cavernous space to cache disk files?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Jan 2012 15:12:45
Message: <4f1f10bd@news.povray.org>
On 24/01/2012 18:18, Warp wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> On the other hand, if an Xbox breaks, the manufacturer can charge you
>> arbitrary amounts of money to fix it. If a PC breaks, you can just
>> replace the offending part, available from a bazillion sources. ;-)
>
>    Do you have any actual figures how much it costs to repair an Xbox 360
> after the warranty has been expired?

No. But I imagine it's cheaper to buy an entire new Xbox.

This is based on my observations of what happens with laptops. Typically

is obviously absurd. The manufacturers are simply preying on the fact
that nobody else can supply this part.

would actually pay for...

It's news to me that the Xbox comes with a warranty. Usually MS products
come with a disclaimer of liability. :-P

>    Anyways, advantages of PC gaming over console gaming:
>
> - Keyboard and mouse. I can't stress this enough.

Granted.

> - As time passes, graphics hardware and graphics get better, while consoles
> are stagnant.

Again, agreed.

> - Many gamers appreciate the ability to mod games, and to download and
> install such mods. This is just not possible in consoles. (Well, not
> unless you want to physically hack your console and get banned from the
> console's online server system and stop being able to do anything online
> and receive upgrades to anything.)

Well, it /could/ be possible, if the makers allowed it. But they don't,
so that's merely a technicallity.

>    Disadvantages of PC gaming:
>
> - Crashes. From all the PC games I own, *at least* 50% have presented
> crashes in one form or another.

My experience differs.

Granted I've only played Quake 2, HalfLife (and Opposing Force, and Blue
Shift, and Gunman), HalfLife 2 (plus EP1 and EP2), CounterStrike:
Source, Portal, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty 4: Modern
Warfare, Modern Warefare II, Alieans vs Predator (the old one),
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, Oddworld: Abe's Exodus, Bastion, Braid, Batman:
Arkham Assylum, Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, Cryostasis, Assassin's Creed,
Assassin's Creed II and a handful of other PC games. (That's over 20 so
far, if you're counting.) Almost all of these have been entirely
crash-free the vast majority of the time.

> - Games tend to be optimized for top-of-the-line PCs, often making them a
> pain to play with older PCs.

Again, I'm not sure about that.

People complained about, say, HalfLife 2, but in fact it turns out to
have surprisingly modest requirements. It played perfectly well for me

> - Game availability. Many game houses do not port their games for the PC,

Many PC games are not available on consoles. If you have console X, many
games on console Y are just not available.

I would say that the PC probably has the largest catelogue of games of
any platform. There may be a few notable titles available only on one
console, but that aside, there's a fair bit to choose from.

>    Advantages of consoles:
>
> - Plug&play. Really. You just buy a game, put the disk in, and start
> playing. That's it.

I put my new PC together, installed Windows 7, installed the Steam
client, waited 15 minutes for Crysis to download over the Internet, and
then I was playing Crysis. That easy.

I take your point though; sometimes things do /not/ go so smoothly.
Sometimes you really have to bugger around with things to get a game to
work.

One problem that doesn't seem to exist on consoles is stupid DRM. For
example, I cannot play Crysis if Process Explorer is running, since it
is classed as a "hacker tool" (which it obviously isn't).

> - Did I mention no crashes?

Try "fewer crashes". Although, again, I /have/ seen a console crash
(despite not actually owning one, so I haven't mad much exposure). And
my PC games don't crash all that often. (With a few titles being
irritating exceptions.)

> - Games are optimized for the console, so they will usually look as good
> as the console allows, while having a good framerate. This even if you have
> a huge HD TV or LCD monitor.

Quite. There's no fiddling with quality settings to get just the right
balance of quality and performance. It just *works*.

>    Disadvantages of consoles:
>
> - The controller.
> - Aging hardware.

Indeed.