POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Don't mess with Hitchens Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  Don't mess with Hitchens (Message 38 to 47 of 77)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Don't mess with Wikipedia
Date: 12 Jan 2012 10:14:10
Message: <4f0ef8c2$1@news.povray.org>
>> Took approximately 10 minutes, in fact. Which makes it all the more
>> surprising that I happened to hit the page within that 10-minute window.
>
> It happens. I once tried to read the article on the first Halo game, and one
> section, quite a large paragraph, consisted entirely of the phrase 'halo is gay'
> in block capitals over and over again. Several minutes later, back to normal.

Subtle. Real subtle.

Of course, one does not have to *utter* the words "Halo is gay". This
fact is self-evident, uttered or not. ;-)

>> Of course, if instead of inserting something obviously bogus, the person
>> had made several small factual edits which look superficially plausible,
>> you could slowly pollute large sections of Wikipedia with false data and
>> nobody would notice for a very long time.
>
> Except that there's a large army of editors who get notified of every edit, and
> likely catch even subtle changes relatively quickly.

You would have to be careful to not just indiscriminately edit dozens of
unrelated articles changing dates and so forth. That would be a tad
obvious. But if your edits were of low frequency, it's unlikely that
anybody would bother to look up every single fact you changed to make
sure it was correct.

OTOH, I gather that if you try to make /genuine/ corrections, your edits
get automatically reverted, so... :-P

> Still funny when you happen to catch some vandalism in the act tho :)

Yeah, well... not so much.

> And then there's always the anti-Wikipedia:
> http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

My brain! Urrrgh!! >_<

Post a reply to this message

> Of course, one does not have to *utter* the words "Halo is gay". This
> fact is self-evident, uttered or not. ;-)

Oi, I quite enjoyed it :) Unless you meant that it has a lot of homoerotic
content. Or, archaically, that it's a really happy carefree game.

> My brain! Urrrgh!! >_<

Quite. I've not been brave enough to look at Warp's link yet, I might turn big
and green and smash things.

Post a reply to this message

On 12/01/2012 04:26 PM, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Invisible<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> Of course, one does not have to *utter* the words "Halo is gay". This
>> fact is self-evident, uttered or not. ;-)
>
> Oi, I quite enjoyed it :) Unless you meant that it has a lot of homoerotic
> content. Or, archaically, that it's a really happy carefree game.

The former is debatable, the latter is undeniably false. ;-)

>> My brain! Urrrgh!!>_<
>
> Quite. I've not been brave enough to look at Warp's link yet, I might turn big
> and green and smash things.

I tried. I got a domain name holding page.

Post a reply to this message