POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The police in the United States Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  The police in the United States (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: The police in the United States
Date: 20 Nov 2011 16:23:49
Message: <4ec96fe5$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/2011 2:46 AM, andrel wrote:
> On 20-11-2011 10:33, Warp wrote:
>> andrel<byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> Is privatization also a piece of the puzzle?
>>> AFAIK some/many/all(?) prisons a run by private companies.
>>
>> What for? It sounds a bit like the trend of many corporations outsourcing
>> parts of their software development, which only ended up being more
>> expensive
>> in the long run than doing everything in-house.
>
> because private companies can pay their employees less and are therefore
> cheaper?
>
> because the government is not liable in case of abuse?
>
> because someone had a friend that could influence that decision?
>
> because it was fashionable?
>
> because it is not a task for the government?
>
> BTW In GB prisons are/were also privatized. Group 4 was famous for
> running some prisons a few years ago. Actually I don't know how it is here.

You missed two:

Because politicians own stock in, or receive election funding from them.

Because escaped prisoners are a good photo-op for talking about how we
need more prisons, to deal with over crowding, not as failure of private
institutions to prevent them (unlike government run ones, which hardly
ever have escapees).