POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Cheap films Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Cheap films (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Invisible
Subject: Cheap films
Date: 28 Sep 2011 05:29:04
Message: <4e82e8e0@news.povray.org>
OK, so a few weeks ago we went to see the final Harry Potter film at the
cinema. As expected, having spent 10 years building up to this moment,
nothing you could physically display on a screen really feels like
anything other than an anticlimax. But hey, never mind...

During the 2 hours of adverts preceding the actual film, I saw a trailer
for something called Mega Mind. It looked entertaining. And then, a week

something, so I bought it.

After watching the first 20 minutes or so, it seems the film isn't as
good as I was hoping. But hey, it was cheap, right?

By the end, I'd revised that opinion. Actually, it /is/ quite a good
film. Not an awesome film, but quite good. While there's any number of
things I could mention that might have been done better, the film still
has some solid emotional high points and low points. And, really, if
you've managed to pull that off, you can't be doing /that/ badly...

While waiting for POV-Ray to do my bidding the other day, I discovered a
DVD laying around the house, still in its wrapper. I guess mum bought it
ages ago and then forgot. It's a film I've never heard of, and
presumably bought because it was cheap. So I'm not expecting fireworks
here. The title says "Surf's Up", and it features CG penguins riding
surf boards.

Right there, that probably tells you everything there is to know about
the movie, right? From the box art, you can even make out the stock
characters: The derided dreamer who's obviously going to be the hero by
the end. The hippie washout who's presumably the comic relief. The evil
guy. The lone girl - because there has to be a girl, right?

Well, I watched the film. And it entertained me. The story is... you
already know what the story is, right? There isn't a whole heap there,
but that doesn't even appear to be the main focus. It's a bunch of
characters on their own day to day adventures, and it's actually quite
entertaining.

The film is made up to be a documentary. Lots of people talk to the
camera, and you can hear the people operating the camera talk back. And
occasionally get eaten by sharks or something. The washed-out hippie
dude is less 1-dimensional than you might imagine. And in general, the
film doesn't take itself too seriously, but manages to have serious
moments without seeming cheap or fake.

Also, I can't help noticing how all this water would have been utterly
unthinkable in a CG film a few years ago, but today nobody even blinks.
But I guess that's just me being a nerd.

Rounding it out is Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. It amuses me how
Ice Age casually disregards known scientific fact. I mean, sure, nobody
seriously expects a simple CG comedy to be factually accurate. But when
you see mammoths, dodos and dinosaurs in the same film, you have to
start wondering "guys, seriously??"

I remember seeing the first Ice Age. It was entertaining, it had a
simple but engaging story, and that was that. I still remember the
disbelief I felt when they announced Ice Age 2. Surprisingly, it manages
to be as fun as (perhaps even better than) the first one.

Ice Age 3 is certainly up there with the other two. Perhaps slightly
lower, because of a few minor annoying things. Perhaps slightly higher,
because of a really entertaining new character.

Unlike the previous two, in this one /everybody/ is suddenly obsessed
with having kids. Which is slightly annoying. But not enough to /really/
spot me enjoying the film. And it seems they don't disregard history as
much as you'd think; it turns out the characters in the film are just as
surprised to see dinosaurs as I am. It's the old "there's a secret
underground world that time forgot" trip.

Also, the film contains a toxic green gas which makes characters talk
like chipmunks and laugh uncontrollably. What more do you need? :-D

So there you have it. Cheap films can be entertaining sometimes, apparently.

Post a reply to this message

> Rounding it out is Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. It amuses me how
> Ice Age casually disregards known scientific fact. I mean, sure, nobody
> seriously expects a simple CG comedy to be factually accurate. But when
> you see mammoths, dodos and dinosaurs in the same film, you have to
> start wondering "guys, seriously??"

  The dinosaurs are out of place on purpose, and this is even lampshaded
in the film. I think the explanation was that they were frozen or something.
(I have seen the movie, but don't remember anymore.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Rounding it out is Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. It amuses me how
>> Ice Age casually disregards known scientific fact. I mean, sure, nobody
>> seriously expects a simple CG comedy to be factually accurate. But when
>> you see mammoths, dodos and dinosaurs in the same film, you have to
>> start wondering "guys, seriously??"
>
>    The dinosaurs are out of place on purpose, and this is even lampshaded
> in the film.

Yes - as I pointed out a few paragraphs later...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> [...]

> to be as fun as (perhaps even better than) the first one.
>
> Ice Age 3 is certainly up there with the other two. Perhaps slightly
> lower, because of a few minor annoying things. Perhaps slightly higher,
> because of a really entertaining new character.
>
> Unlike the previous two, in this one /everybody/ is suddenly obsessed
> with having kids. Which is slightly annoying. But not enough to /really/
> spot me enjoying the film. And it seems they don't disregard history as
> much as you'd think; it turns out the characters in the film are just as
> surprised to see dinosaurs as I am. It's the old "there's a secret
> underground world that time forgot" trip.
>
> Also, the film contains a toxic green gas which makes characters talk
> like chipmunks and laugh uncontrollably. What more do you need? :-D
>
> So there you have it. Cheap films can be entertaining sometimes,

Not cheap at all.  Three great movies.  Well, actually I've not seen
Megamind yet.  If it is any close to Pixar's The Incredibles...

Surf's Up is so unlike most other CG movies that it's worthwhile for it
alone.  But it also packs an entertaining story, it has that documentary
feel and it packs some friggin' CG glory.

Rango is fairly nice too, as is the histrionic "Cloudy with a chance of
Meatballs".

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

>> So there you have it. Cheap films can be entertaining sometimes,
>> apparently.
>
> Not cheap at all. Three great movies. Well, actually I've not seen
> Megamind yet. If it is any close to Pixar's The Incredibles...

Uh, no. The Incredibles was a *masterpiece*. Megemind is good - better
than you think it's going to be - but it's not EPIC good. It's just good.

> Surf's Up is so unlike most other CG movies that it's worthwhile for it
> alone. But it also packs an entertaining story, it has that documentary
> feel and it packs some friggin' CG glory.

Yeah, it's certainly entertaining to watch. And isn't that the idea,
after all?

> Rango is fairly nice too, as is the histrionic "Cloudy with a chance of
> Meatballs".

Haven't tried those yet...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/